The Auto Club Group (ACG) provides membership, travel, insurance and financial services offerings to approximately 9 million members and customers across 11 states and 2 U.S. territories through the AAA, Meemic and Fremont brands. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation and is the second largest AAA club in North America.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities (details of the basic job functions):
Work under less supervision with a high-level of authority to handle highly complex technical issues and the most complex claims.
Claim handling responsibilities will include the following: reviewing assigned claims, contacting the insured and other affected parties, setting expectations for the remainder of the claim process, and initiating documentation in the claim handling system. Complete coverage analysis on the most complex claims. Ensure all possible policyholder benefits are identified. Create additional sub-claims if needed. Complete an investigation of the facts regarding the claim to further and in more detail determine if the claim should be paid, the applicable limits or exclusions and possible recovery potential. Conduct thorough reviews of damages and determine the applicability of state law and other factors related to the claim. Evaluate the financial value of the loss. Approve payments for the appropriate parties accordingly. Refer claims to other company units when necessary (e.g., Underwriting, Recovery Units or Claims Special Investigation Unit). Thoroughly document and/or code the claim file and complete all claim closure and related activities in the assigned claims management system. Utilize strong negotiating skills.
Senior Claims Specialists assigned to the PIP unit are responsible for claims involving the MCCA or quadriplegic, traumatic brain, amputations and other catastrophic injuries. The role will require proficiency in dealing with the MCCA and attorney represented claims. Work with insureds, physicians’ offices and medical insurance carriers to obtain necessary information to complete the claims review process and make the appropriate determinations.
- Associate degree in Business Administration, Insurance or a related field or the equivalent in related work experience
- Completion of the Insurance Institute of America's: General Insurance Program, Associate in Claims, Associate in Management or equivalent
- CPCU coursework or designation
Works in a temperature controlled office environment. Depending on line travel may be required to visit courts, attorney offices, patients, hospitals, rehabilitation centers, repair facilities, damaged homes, contractors, etc. per with exposure to road hazards and temperature extremes.
- Complete ACG Claim Representative Training Program or demonstrate equivalent knowledge or experience
- In states where an Adjuster’s license is required, the candidate must be eligible to acquire a State Adjuster’s license within 90 days of hire and maintain as specified for appropriate states.
- Must have a valid State Driver's License
- Five years of experience in the following:
- Negotiation of complex claim settlements
- Securing and evaluating evidence
- Subrogation claims
- Resolving complex coverage questions
- Taking statements
- Establishing clear evaluation and resolution plans for claims
- Advanced technical knowledge of
- Essential Insurance Act (Michigan)
- Fair Trade Practices Act as it relates to claims
- Subrogation procedures and processes
- Intercompany arbitration
- Negligence Law
- No-Fault Law
- Medical terminology and human anatomy
- MCCA and attorney represented claims
- Handle claims to the line Claim Handling Standards
- Follow and apply ACG Claim policies, procedures and guidelines
- Work within assigned ACG Claim systems including basic PC software
- Perform claim file review and investigations
- Demonstrate effective communication skills (verbal and written)
- Demonstrate customer service skills by building and maintaining relationships with insureds/claimants while exhibiting understanding of their problems and responding to questions and concerns
- Analyze and solve problems while demonstrating sound decision making skills
- Prioritize claim related functions
- Process time sensitive data and information from multiple sources
- Manage time, organize and plan work load and responsibilities
- Safely operate a motor vehicle in order to attend meetings off site
- Travel outside of assigned territory which may involve overnight stay
- Relocate, work evenings or weekends