Collage.com’s mission is to make custom products easy for everyone. We strive to do this by providing superior software and excellent customer service. We sell an expanding variety of photo and home products, including photo blankets, photo books, canvases, pillows, and more. Our company has been featured on the TODAY Show, The View, and Good Morning America many times. We are a profitable, 100% employee-owned company that has rapidly grown to 50 employees and $22M annual revenue over the past five years.
As a remote company, our development team is set up to empower individuals. The less time developers spend dealing with cumbersome processes and inefficient systems, the more time they have to solve problems and make an impact. We believe in staying at the forefront of best practices so that we can focus on work that matters. We use continuous deployment (anything that is merged following a pull request goes straight to production) and are fully distributed with all of our systems in the cloud. We invest heavily in developing software well and using the best technology to delight our customers.
We're 100% remote
Collage.com is a 100% remote company, with employees working together in states across the country. Last year, our remote work culture was profiled in a case study by the Harvard Business School (we are the first all-remote company they profiled). The entire company meets together in person twice a year in Ann Arbor, Michigan (all expenses paid) to get to know each other and work on strategy. Learn more in an op-ed our co-founder Kevin Borders wrote for MLive.com.
We are seeking a senior-level front-end software engineer who can independently implement complex front end features by writing clean, simple code. Join us as we create software that helps customers design and purchase custom products with ease. You'll be part of a small team of engineers who are passionate about building a great product and constantly challenging themselves to improve. Our lean approach to software development means your work will have a large impact on the business.
- Write technical specifications that describe, at an appropriate level, how you will implement new features in our code base.
- Review code written by other engineers.
- Review technical specifications written by other engineers.
- Help other developers, especially junior developers, when you are able.
- Communicate effectively with product managers and other engineers.
- 5+ years professional web application development experience
- Practical experience with MV* architecture (such as Backbone, React + Flux / Redux, etc.), unidirectional data flow, and minimal class/object interfaces
- Spatial/geometric reasoning ability -- for basic rendering, animation, and image manipulation
- Ability to quickly understand and work with code having a high degree of inherent complexity
- Strong communication skills are essential for this remote work position
Benefits and Perks
- Working from home makes it easier to focus on results and develop professionally while spending less time commuting. (See our opinion piece on perks and work-life balance at mlive.com.)
- 401(k) plan, home internet reimbursement, and $3,000 / year in free Collage.com products plus employee discount for friends and family.
- Collage.com pays 100% of the premium for full health, vision and dental insurance coverage for you and your family in a high-quality Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO plan.
- Flexible work schedule and unlimited vacation policy (work hard and take time when you need it).
- We'll pay for any computer and home office equipment (within reason) that will help you work better.
The Interview Process
We are committed to providing a transparent interview process and making offers to qualified people who will be a great fit for our team. We've found that the best way to identify qualified candidates is to ask people to demonstrate their skills directly.
All interviews are conducted over the phone. Here's what to expect from each step of the interview process:
- Application questionnaire - Your answers to the questions in this application matter! The team lead screens all applications and reads every answer carefully.
- Screening interview (30 min to 1 hour) - You will speak with an engineer who will ask you to write some code that is typical of the work we do on a daily basis. You will also have the opportunity to ask any questions you have about the team and the company.
- Take-home assignment - This replaces an on-site interview. You will be given a 3 to 4 hour take-home assignment reflective of actual work in this position, which you can work on at your reasonable convenience. The assignment will be reviewed by a senior engineer.
- Second interview (1 hour) - General interview with the team lead.
- Third interview (1 hour) - General interview with another senior engineer on the team.
- Fourth interview (1 hour) - You will speak with Kevin Borders, co-founder and co-CEO.
- Fifth interview (1 hour) - You will speak with Joe Golden, co-founder and co-CEO.
We move candidates through the interview process as expeditiously as possible.
Fill out the adjacent form. If you have something else to say that cannot be contained, you can e-mail //email@example.comHelp.