Logistics done differently.
At XPO Logistics, we know that cutting-edge technology drives our success and we want to put you behind the wheel. As the Senior Automation Engineer, you will be responsible for analyzing high labor content activities across XPO and designing automation to improve operational efficiency with a short ROI and ROIC. You will be challenged with finding ways to improve productivity and developing strategies to help people work smarter—ensuring we stay ahead of our competitors in the marketplace, and a bright future for yourself and XPO.
Pay, benefits and more.
We are eager to attract the best, so we offer competitive compensation and a generous benefits package, including full health insurance (medical, dental and vision), pension, life insurance, disability and more.
What you’ll do on a typical day:
- Design, plan, source, and implement automation solutions, including, conveyors, sorters, scanners, vision systems, PLCs, etc.
- Conduct root cause analysis of labor and/or process inefficiency through operational data analysis, pareto, review, time studies, simulation, and discussions with operational leadership
- Develop automation design and equipment specifications for the implementation of automation solutions including identifying facility design requirements based on activity levels, product envelope, product flow, and transportation methods; building layouts and power requirements to accept automation designs; specifying material handling and storage equipment solutions
- Determine startup and ongoing personnel requirements for automation solutions based on activity levels and product profile; identify management and supervisory requirements for operations personnel, determine special skills needed, and provide job descriptions for hiring
- Configure table data, location logic table data, strategies, commodity table data, and system flag settings for functionality
- Work with IT team to identify and document new IT functionality not currently available; identify changes to existing functionality currently available, and test IT solutions and functionality
- Specify packing methods to be used based on mode/method of transportation and product profile; specify containers/cartons and packing (void fill) medium requirements; identify outbound labeling/documentation requirements; provide annual cost estimates for packing materials; and create cartonization tables
- Develop time estimates for process documentation, conversion of existing processes, and development, testing, and implementation of new processes; publish start-up plans with milestones and responsibilities
What you need to succeed at XPO:
At a minimum, you’ll need:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related field; prefer automation engineering curriculum
- 5+ years of high-volume operations and distribution-related work experience
- PLC experience and electrical controls of motors, switches, diverters, spirals, conveyors
- Proven successful experience in Lean methodology, AutoCAD, Simulation, 3D modeling, and drawing and design of components and parts of systems
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project), Mini Tab, and Six Sigma analysis tools
- Availability to travel occasionally
It’d be great if you also have:
- 7+ years of experience
Be part of something big.
XPO provides cutting-edge supply chain solutions to the world's most successful companies, including Disney, Pepsi, L'Oréal, Toyota and many others. We’re the fastest-growing transportation company on the Fortune 500 list and we’re just getting started.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, disability, veteran, or other protected status.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.