Job Purpose Statement
Reporting to the Manager of Freight and Logistics, the Logistics Specialist supports the operations of Global Procurement Organization. This positions primary responsibility is to ensure the efficient day to day operation of the company’s transportation network. The logistics specialist will have responsibility for all shipments into and out of assigned facilities. The specialist will have a broad range of responsibilities that include load planning, order consolidation, shipment booking, exception management, OS&D research, and delivery appointment scheduling. The specialist is expected to work collaboratively with shipping/receiving, planning, and customer service associates.
The ideal candidate is detail oriented and has developed strong analytical and interpersonal skills. A candidate is expected to support all transportation operations and will ultimately help drive cost and customer satisfaction.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide guidance and mentorship to logistics specialists and act as next level escalation contact for carriers.
- Lead and develop improvement projects that improve on time delivery, quality, and cost.
- Develop relationships with freight forwarders and draymen to ensure the smooth delivery of international containers.
- Schedule pickup and delivery appointments for truckload shipments.
- Manage outbound shipment execution activities, including:
- Analyze orders from system and plan shipment activity using TMS
- Tender loads to carriers
- Track and execute shipments
- Measure carrier compliance
- Monitor inbound load boards, plan, dispatch and track domestic and international shipments.
- Ensure customer on time delivery is met through carrier planning.
- Build relationships with local and national carriers.
- Develop and implement cost savings initiatives.
- Review production schedules to ensure adequate carrier capacity.
Education and Experience Required:
- Associates degree required, Bachelors preferred
- 3 plus years’ experience in transportation
- Detail oriented
- Able to work in a stressful, fast-paced environment
- Friendly, customer-service attitude
- Ability to problem solve
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task based on needs of the account
- Professional business communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite