Principal Electrical Design Engineer
The ideal candidate is the person sought out by colleagues and management for guidance on and solutions to strategic and difficult technical challenges. This is an opportunity to be the principal technical innovator responsible for strengthening and maintaining our clients position as a technology leader in the motion control industry. A strong background and experience with μC/FPGA based systems, mixed analog and digital circuitry, power conversion electronics and control theory for both discrete and continuous time systems required.
• Design PCB-level mixed analog/digital, interface and power electronic circuits to meet product specification and cost requirements
• Maintain awareness of new component developments and emerging technologies relevant to motion controls and use/recommend them for new designs where appropriate to achieve cost, performance and size goals
• Set the standard for design best practices and collaborate with mechanical engineering, and the firmware and software design teams to yield outstanding new products
• Be the leading technical voice in product planning meetings, design reviews etc. and foster innovative thinking within the group by initiating continuous improvement discussions on all aspects of product design and development.
• A BS in Electrical Engineering. MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering preferred
• 10+ years of direct, PCB-level, design experience with μC/FPGA based systems containing mixed signal, interface and power conversion circuitry (5+ years with advanced degree)
• Ability to think and create across technical disciplines (mechanical, thermal, firmware/software, test) to develop compact, reliable, high performance motor drives
• Strong ability to design magnetic components used in power conversion circuits
• An excellent understanding of control theory as applied to power conversion and motion control
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a product development team
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Experience with all phases of PCB design flow – specification, schematic capture, DFM/DFT and layout
• Working knowledge of PCB design tools (Orcad Capture, PADS or Allegro)
• Familiarity with EMC, Electrical Safety and Functional Safety standards and requirements