At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
We seek a talented, collaborative computational researcher to drive the reverse translation efforts by bringing molecularly defined primary disease insights into novel target opportunities in Oncology.
The successful applicant is expected to play a key scientific role in leveraging disease stratification efforts to identify novel targets, or reposition existing assets, for molecular subtypes of cancer with high unmet medical need using innovative computational analysis strategies. Reporting to the Head of Predictive Sciences, Oncogenesis Thematic Research Center (TRC), the successful candidate will work alongside colleagues in the Oncogenesis TRC based in San Diego California, and the global Informatics & Predictive Sciences (IPS) department.
Scientific objectives and research scenarios include:
- Integrating data across internal and public datasets for new target identification in molecularly defined patient subpopulations
- Mapping relevant preclinical models to primary disease subtypes for testing target hypothesis with translatable patient selection strategies
- Developing systems biology approaches for mechanism-based drug discovery by leveraging pharmacogenomics data and molecular networks
- Performing multivariate analysis to integrate various sources of evidence and target properties for integrative target evaluation and prioritization
- Lead target identification and model characterization projects in collaboration with clinical disease strategy teams and preclinical drug discovery teams.
- Develop and apply innovative computational analysis to leverage internal, public and partner datasets and empower data-driven decisions for new target prioritization and validation.
- Collaborate as a member of cross functional teams to drive rational decision making across early drug discovery programs.
- Author scientific reports, and present methods, results and conclusions to publishable standard.
- Contribute to the planning and execution of collaborative projects with leading academic and commercial research groups worldwide.
Ph.D. in computational biology, bioinformatics, or related field from a recognized higher-education establishment
6+ years of experience in applying systems biology approaches to solve biological problems in university, hospital, pharma or biotech research environments, with considerable depth of experience in cancer genomics
- Demonstrated ability to integrate heterogeneous data sources and perform multivariate analysis of integrated datasets.
- Proven expertise in the development and/or implementation of algorithms to utilize molecular networks for distilling, analyzing and interpreting complex datasets.
- Experience of computational biology research on a wide variety of molecular profiling platforms, including mRNA profiling, mutational profiling, DNA copy number quantification, epigenetic profiling and proteomics.
- Familiar with various cancer genomics consortium efforts, tools and databases.
- Expertise in algorithmic implementation, statistical programming and data manipulation, using contemporary, open-source bioinformatics tools and databases.
- Track record of peer-reviewed publications in top-tier scientific journals.
- Proven problem-solving skills, collaborative nature and adaptability across disciplines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluent verbal and written English language skills prerequisite.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.