Portland, Oregon or Home Office in the U.S. Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
We're looking for an experienced engineer to join our Applied Intelligence product development group as a Senior Software Engineer. You'll be embedded in an engineering team that provides a highly scalable, reliable, configurable, and extensible evaluation pipeline capable of 100s of millions of data points every minute. This pipeline can perform sophisticated evaluations on any kind of well-formed time series data New Relic collects.
If you’re ready for this job, you’ll have worked with high-availability, high-scale, production systems. You’ll have a solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals along with excellent written and verbal communication skills. You are energized by delivering customer value and developing high quality software solutions!
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with Engineers, Product Managers, and other partners to frame problems within the business and product context
- Contribute to the product technical design, architecture and implementation of our backend components
- Debug and fix problems that come with operating a large scale distributed system including dealing with race conditions, concurrency, and performance
- Ship high quality code incrementally and often, balancing operational needs with new feature development
This position is for New Relic Alerts, part of New Relic AI Ops group. Our customers are DevOps, SRE, and on-call teams and our Products help them find, investigate, and resolve problems with their systems faster!
You'll maintain a work-life balance that enables you to thrive by using flex time-off, twelve weeks of paid parental leave, and our DataNerds4Good volunteer time off program.
- 4+ years of professional experience developing software that runs on the JVM
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Ability to go deep on the command-line and fix things when they’re broken
- Flexibility and a desire to learn
- Collaborative working style that includes colleagues in significant decisions and leads to team code ownership
- Knowledge of continuous integration/test/deployment tools and methodology
- Demonstrated experience in designing, developing and testing scalable distributed systems
- Knowledge of databases (Postgres, MySQL) and query languages
- 3+ years of experience developing and operating within a 24x7 SaaS business.
- Experience with Apache Kafka or other data pipeline technologies is a plus, but not required.
- DevOps experience
- An ability to reason about time-series data
- Experience with Groovy/Gradle/Spock
- Experience writing software for the public Cloud, preferably AWS
Please note that visa sponsorship or relocation is not available for this position.
Our Office or Your Office
You will be working with engineers and leaders distributed throughout the world, concentrated around our major offices in Portland, San Francisco, Phoenix, Barcelona, and Tel Aviv. You are welcome to work in one of those offices, or work from your home office in approved locations in the U.S. Our global headquarters for research and development is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in the thriving tech community of the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy multi-modal commute access and a plethora of good eats and exceptional coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility, and fun of a start-up.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is the industry’s largest and most comprehensive cloud-based instrumentation platform built to create more perfect software. The world’s best software and DevOps teams rely on New Relic to move faster, make better decisions and create best-in-class digital experiences. If you run software, you need to run New Relic. We’re proudly trusted by more than 50% of the Fortune 100.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company focused on building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/Document/FCO%20Poster%20Set%20All%20Languages%2010%2001%2018.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of diverse background and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.