EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS) headquartered in Englewood, CO, with additional locations world-wide, is a premier global provider of satellite solutions and technology services. Together with its major subsidiaries—EchoStar Satellite Services and Hughes Network Systems— EchoStar offers employees the opportunity to explore the boundaries of what’s possible in the fields of engineering and the business functions transforming this engineering into revenue.
EchoStar is looking for an experienced Senior Spacecraft Engineer who will plan, support, execute, and oversee TT&C and spacecraft subsystem operations. This position is available in Gilbert, AZ or Cheyenne, WY.
Operations to include spacecraft commanding and station keeping activities according to scheduled and dynamic operational requirements; perform trending and analysis of spacecraft health data, prepare reports, and communicate status of spacecraft, projects, and operational activities to all levels of the organization while focusing on customer service; conduct and manage activities to increase team and personal job skills and professional knowledge.
- Investigate and analyze long- and short-term spacecraft performance trends. Manage and approve criteria used for monitoring all spacecraft subsystems.
- Perform 24x7 on-call operations on a rotating basis. Respond to anomalies, provide initial direction to controllers, initiate and lead anomaly resolution efforts.
- Plan and direct complex payload re-configurations, including integrated activities involving multiple spacecraft and/or functional areas, to support broadcast operations.
- Support development efforts on new spacecraft. Analyze design review documentation to verify operational requirements are satisfied, participate in ground testing of new spacecraft, support orbit raising activities, and manage in-orbit test and evaluation activities.
- Manage, evaluate quality, and optimize spacecraft procedures, tools, and the processes needed for efficient execution of operational activities.
- Apply experience and professional judgment to evaluate, create, and implement innovative strategies to support dynamic operational needs.
- Conceptualize, develop, and review new processes, methods, scripts, and other tools used by both the engineering and operations teams.
Other duties to include:
- Plan, execute, and monitor spacecraft maneuvers. Perform maneuver reconstruction, orbit determination, and develop long-term operating strategies. Direct the planning and execution of spacecraft orbit relocation operations, as necessary.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement engineering activities and schedules to support controller, management, and corporate requirements.
- Re-enforce situational awareness of spacecraft operational activities, broadcast operations, company objectives, and advances in the space and broadcast media industry.
- May supervise one or more junior level engineers to include responsibilities for personnel issues (hiring, performance appraisals, terminations, etc.).
- Facilitate and guide professional and technical development of junior team members. Research, develop, and present advanced training materials to meet team and organization requirements.
- Bachelor's degree (BS) in engineering or physics from a four-year college or university
- Five or more years of spacecraft operations and/or flight dynamics experience
- This position requires ITAR access—candidate must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Fulfill a 24x7 on-call rotation and respond onsite within 30 minutes
- Operations or Flight dynamics experience with Space Systems Loral FS1300 or Lockheed Martin A2100 spacecraft highly desired
- Experience with Kratos ISI EPOCH TT&C / OASYS, MATLAB, and AGI STK software a plus
- General or specialized knowledge of one or more of the following spacecraft systems and subsystems: Attitude, Propulsion, Power, Data Handling, Thermal, Mechanism, TT&C, and Payload
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret business periodicals, technical procedures, or government policy. Able to write reports, correspondence, and operations procedures
- Attention to detail, pro-active and confident personality with good communication skills
- Able to work in a multi-team environment
- Comfortable presenting information and responding to questions from managers, corporate executives, and customers
EchoStar and its Affiliated Companies are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. U.S. Citizenship is required for certain positions. EEO is the law.