About University at Albany:
Established in 1844 and designated a University Center of the State University of New York in 1962, the University at Albany's broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages a diverse student body of more than 17,300 students in nine schools and colleges across three campuses.
Located in Albany, New York, New York State's capital, the University is convenient to Boston, New York City and the Adirondacks.
The University at Albany's Office of Communications and Marketing (OCM) is seeking an experienced Social Media Specialist to be part of a team that builds superior engagement and traffic by strategically exploiting all aspects of the social media marketing roadmap. The Social Media Specialist should have a solid understanding of how each social media channel works and how to optimize content so that it is engaging on those channels.
- Build and execute social media strategy through competitive research, platform determination, bench-marking, messaging and audience identification
- Create and follow an editorial calendar and syndication schedule to assist with short and long-term content planning and execution; calendar/schedule should align with the academic calendar/University cycle and University-wide marketing or brand initiatives
- Generate, edit, publish and share daily content (original text, images, video or HTML) as well as occasional social media contests and broader social media marketing campaigns that build meaningful connections and encourage community members to take action and engage with the University
- Manage Social Media Intern(s) who will help you cover events, generate original content and publish across platforms
- Moderate all user-generated content (posts, tweets, comments, etc.) on University pages in line with the moderation policy for each community
- Respond to user-generated comments and questions posted on University pages and directed at University accounts in a timely manner using one voice in alignment with the University brand
- Monitor/listen to conversations happening among users about the University on each platform, where possible, and engage if appropriate
- Continuously improve by capturing and analyzing the appropriate social data/metrics, insights and best practices, and then acting on the information
- Optimize the pages within each platform to increase the visibility of the University's social content
- Collaborate with other University departments and units to manage reputation, identify key players, coordinate University event coverage, and content sharing/re-purposing
- Must be willing to work occasional nights and on some weekends, in accordance with major University events
- Bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized organization
- Three or more years in a similar social media role
- Experience in a higher education environment
- Excellent consulting, writing, editing (photo/video/text), presentation and communication skills
- Demonstrable social networking experience and social analytics tools knowledge
- Knowledge of web design, web development and SEO
- Knowledge of online marketing and good understanding of major marketing channels
- Detail oriented with a good multitasking and organizational ability
- Applicants must address in their application their ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Master's degree from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization
- Experience in a nonprofit or higher education environment
- Experience in marketing/communications
Professional Rank and Salary Range: Senior Staff Assistant, SL-3
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the University's crime statistics for the past three years; and disclosures regarding the University's current campus security policies. The University at Albany's Annual Security Report is available in portable document format [PDF] by clicking this link http://police.albany.edu/ASR.shtml
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.comHelp
THE UNIVERSITY AT ALBANY IS AN EO/AA/IRCA/ADA EMPLOYER
Please apply online via https://albany.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=96551
Applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- Cover letter stating all the required minimum qualifications and any of the applicable preferred qualifications
- Names and contact information for three references
Note: After submitting your resume, the subsequent pages give you instructions for uploading additional documents (i.e. cover letter etc.).
Closing date for receipt of applications: July 7, 2018