The Software Development Engineer serves as an integral part of the software development team and translates requirements and user stories into design specifications and working code.
In this role, the Software Development Engineer works to develop the next generation of tools and applications for RWS Life Sciences. The SDE works both on the design and development of the source code used to produce these applications.
The SDE reviews functional specifications and translates specifications into code that achieves the functional objectives. The SDE also works on bug fixing and improving application performance.
- Completes functional objectives based on weekly SCRUM planning objectives
- Keeps projects on time.
- Defines site objectives by analyzing user requirements; envisioning system features and functionality.
- Integrate applications by designing database architecture and server scripting; studying and establishing connectivity with network systems, search engines, and information servers.
- Uses best practices and architectural rigor during the software design process, providing input on alternative strategies and solutions.
- Writes well-documented, extensible software code that is easy to maintain, and that adheres to generally accepted programming standards and OOP practices.
- Owns the overall quality of code including unit testing, functional testing and performance.
- Produces and maintains technical designs and documentation relevant to assigned software development tasks
- Resolves RWS Helpdesk issues and provide advice on time and cost on requests that may turn into larger projects. Work with Lead Software Engineer and Project Manager to develop functional specifications for these projects.
- Can thrive while working on a distributed team.
- Transforms graphical mockups of tools and applications and creates HTML and CSS to create functional interfaces.
- Is responsible for maintaining consistency of HTML and CSS across all applications and correct usage and application according to established style guidelines.
- The SDE creates and maintains databases which support applications, MySQL.
Testing and Validation
- Reviews and tests source code sign off on work before it is integrated into RWS systems and applications.
- Creates and implements test plans for developed applications.
- Implements validation plans for developed software applications.
- Works with end-users to test beta and final version of applications.
On-off Project Level Solutions
- Consults with RWS Life Sciences employees to propose and implement technical solutions to project specific issues.
Enterprise Level Systems Integration
- Collaborates with company planning for systems integration between in-house platforms and external technologies. Develops systems integration source code that allows connections between internal and external systems.
- Works with client’s technical developers to integrate their systems with current and future RWS Life Sciences systems.
Authority Granted to this Position
- Decisions to create and execute agreed upon initiatives.
- No check signing authority.
- No authority to sign legal documents or financial commitments for company.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- B.S. or B.A. degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field.
- Excellent grasp of OOP concepts and Design Patterns.
- Highly proficient in JAVA & PHP
- Expertise in SQL (MySQL)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Comfortable working in a Linux environment
- Fluent skills in written and verbal English required
- Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills required
- Self-motivated with ability to drive projects.
- Experience analyzing and defining requirements, and translating them into technical specifications and architecture.
- Experience in AngularJS is a plus.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Location: Boston, MA
FLSA Status: Exempt
Equal Opportunity Employer
Date: July, 2018