Who we are:
Meridian Health Plan is a family-owned, family-operated company of passionate leaders, achievers, and innovators dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our members, our providers and in the healthcare industry.
We provide government-based health plans (Medicare, Medicaid, and the Health Insurance Marketplace) in five different states (Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio).
Our employees work hard, play hard, and give back. Meridian employees enjoy: Happy hours, special events, company sports teams, potlucks, Bagel Fridays, weekly Executive Lunches, and volunteer opportunities.
A Day in the Life of a Sr. Data Warehouse Developer:
This is a senior role for experienced data warehouse and ETL developers. The role will be expert at eliciting requirements from business subject matter experts, leading discussions and facilitating sessions to get deep understanding of how the warehouse and business intelligence can support their departments. This position is responsible for developing broad healthcare subject matter expertise as it relates to building the warehouse, supporting BI reporting, and analytics. The role will be expert at developing and understanding the correct business rules to apply, and is essential to assuring that only quality data enters the data warehouse and the big data environment. The senior developer will be expert at ensuring data quality and will ensure that transformation processes properly transform and enrich the data. The role will be expert at understanding data warehouse design, both Inmon and Kimball methodologies as well as data denormalization techniques. The senior developer will mentor and assist junior staff in developing SQL, ETL, data structure designs, and data warehouse designs. This position requires a level of interest and passion for Big Data processing, warehousing, reporting, and analytics that is unparalleled!
- Become an expert with Meridian data, including claims, memberships, provider, contracts, networks, pharmacy, and clinical subject areas
- Facilitates meetings with business subject matter experts, decision makers, systems owners, and end users to define goals and requirements for reports, dashboards, and analytics; mentor business users on reporting design
- Translates business goals and requirements into designs, utilizing best practice design patterns
- Develops best practice design patterns
- Develops data warehouse and data structure designs with the end in mind, i.e., understands BI and reporting requirements that the warehouse will support
- Engages with data architects and other ETL developers to assist with designing optimal data structures to support BI, reporting, dashboards and analytical datasets
- Collaborates as an expert in the planning, design, development, and deployment of new BI applications, and enhancements to existing applications
- Collaborates with source system developers and data analysts to identify relevant data to be included in the warehouse and in the big data environment
- Provide architectural guidance, technology, and process improvement recommendations
- Designs and applies data security standards on ETL applications and data
- Develops junior level resources so that they learn the craft
- Perform other duties as assigned
What you can bring to Meridian:
- Bachelor’s degree in Data Analytics / Math / Computer Science/Business Information/Business Administration is required, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 5 years’ experience developing data warehousing and/or big data environments with a thorough understanding of both Inmon and Kimball methodologies, as well as thorough knowledge of data denormalization techniques
- Expert knowledge of ETL tools, data warehouse design, developing both star schema and 3rd normal form warehouses as well as denormalized data structures, and understands when to use them
- Expert level SQL knowledge
- Sophisticated in eliciting and gathering business requirements, developing technical specifications per requirements, and translating requirements into elegant designs
- Extensive experience in planning, designing, developing, and deploying ETL applications, and maintaining existing applications
- Experience with Python or Scala is a big plus
- Healthcare experience and related payer business knowledge is a big plus
- Demonstrated experience mentoring and developing junior colleagues
- SQL capability of at least 4/5 or better
- Expert level ETL Tool capability such as Talend, Informatica, Datastage, Pentaho, or ODI of at least 4/5 or better
- Expert at data warehouse design for big data environments and both Inmon and Kimball designs, being able to expertly distinguish between all three, and to articulate when each is appropriate
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent and expert analytical skills
- Demonstrated expertise with BI tools such as Tableau, OBIEE, or Qlikview, and building data cubes
- Demonstrated expertise with reporting tools, such as Cognos, Crystal, or Business Objects
- Experience with Big Data technologies, such as Hadoop, HBASE, Hive, Impala, or KUDU, and the knowledge to know when to use them
- MS Word and Visio expertise
- Expert ability and desire to mentor and teach others
- Expert ability to troubleshoot and manage problems independently and with a team
- Expert ability to integrate multiple inter-related aspects of the system for a holistic approach to design
- Exceptional ability to establish rapport, develop trust, and to partner with business customers, and to speak their language
- Exceptional ability to translate arcane and complex details in to terms that the business customers will understand
- Expert ability and desire to learn new technologies
- Keen attention to detail
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Strong customer service orientation
What Meridian can offer you:
- Our healthcare benefitsinclude a variety of PPO plans that are effective on the first day of employment for our new full-time team members.
- Opportunity to work with the industry’s leading technologies and participate in unique projects, demonstrations, conferences, and exclusive learning opportunities.
- Meridian offers 401k matching thatis above the national average.
- Full-time MHP employees are eligible for tuition reimbursement towards Bachelor’s or Master’s degrees.
- Meridian Health Plan was named Detroit's #1 Fastest Growing Companyby Crain's Magazine, so it is a great time to get involved with Meridian.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER