The Sr. Network Engineer will perform a broad range of implementation and technical project management duties on a team of engineers active in both sustaining and growing the Crown Castle Fiber Network. The Sr. Network Engineer will be well versed in Optical architectural disciplines. He/she will lead major initiatives that are network and/or customer facing. The individual will demonstrate the ability and desire to function as a member of a strong technical team; readily sharing his/her skills for the benefit of the team while demonstrating a willingness to grow that skill set and take on new challenges.
This individual will function as a member of the team responsible for both sustaining and growing the network. These main activities include:
- Design and execute backbone network growth, reconfiguration, upgrade and optimization projects
- Commissioning of hardware in support of network growth and expansion
- Complex network troubleshooting & support
- Capacity management
The Sr. Network Engineer will support complex projects as a member of a project team and act as a primary technical resource responsible for accomplishing the engineering tasks associated with these projects. He/she will also act as the technical lead and project manager for smaller scale projects, responsible for completion of all related work on time and within budget.
Additional responsibilities also include developing and maintaining internal engineering documents and procedures surrounding network configuration, client configuration, network management, and service level design.
SKILL & ABILITIES
The specific skills and abilities required will vary between the two Sr. Network Engineer roles and thus are described in the Job Knowledge section below. Common skillsets for this role include:
- Technical writing skills sufficient to support the team in creation of design documents and technical diagrams
- Strong planning, time management and organizational skills
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks with minimal direct supervision
- The individual must possess and employ the highest ethical and business standards and always conduct himself/herself with the greatest degree of professional integrity.
- The individual must be detailed oriented and possess the desire and ability to work in a collaborative environment, occasionally in a mentorship role with less experienced team members.
- Significant design and implementation experience with ROADM/DWDM/CWDM technologies
- In-depth knowledge of DWDM and ROADM platforms from multiple vendors to include Ciena.
- Must have thorough understanding of OTN, SONET, SDH, TDM, DWDM and CWDM protocols and standards.
- Must have knowledge in Ethernet standards to include G.8032, 802.3ad, 802.3ag and QinQ.
- Must have familiarity with Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) standards.
- Technical certifications in field from Ciena, Juniper or Cisco.
- Direct experience on major platforms deployed in the Crown Castle Fiber network
- Experience and basic understanding of technologies and protocols used in your less proliferate discipline
- Ability to perform duties outside of normal business hours if required
- 4+ years of telecommunications experience working for or with service provider networks
- Strong working knowledge and hands-on experience in designing, deploying and troubleshooting major carrier-grade equipment platforms from Juniper, Cisco, Ciena and others in a service provider environment.
- Technical Certifications in chosen discipline
- Experience with the following: QinQ, G.8032, 802.3ad, 802.3ag, STP, PBT, VPLS, MPLS, IPv6, DWDM, SONET, CWDM,
- MS Office
- Intermediate PC skills
- Bachelor’s degree in a Science/ Technology field or equivalent professional experience, education, and/or training
- Industry Certifications such as CCNP, JNCIA, OC-A, OC-P