Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Our Optical Communications segment has recently evolved from being a manufacturer of optical fiber and cable, hardware and equipment to being a comprehensive provider of industry-leading optical solutions across the broader communications industry.This segment is classified into two main product groupings – carrier network and enterprise network. The carrier network product group consists primarily of products and solutions for optical-based communications infrastructure for services such as video, data and voice communications. The enterprise network product group consists primarily of optical-based communication networks sold to businesses, governments and individuals for their own use.
The Product Manager (Wireless) is responsible for collaborating, defining and executing the growth strategy for multiple products in Corning’s small cell product line which includes indoor and outdoor small cells, small cell controllers and management systems. Corning supplies these products to major mobile service providers and enterprises. Key activities include the definition of product strategy, product definition and product positioning, as well as balancing value pricing & market share to optimize long term profitability. The Product Manager acts as the key partner to the Commercial/Sales, Technology, and Manufacturing organizations. The product line manager is responsible for the overall business of the product line, serving as “judge” between the natural biases of the commercial and operational groups. The product line manager maintains the broader perspective that balances the strategic and annual objectives of each group to ensure maximum long-term profitability for Corning.
Day to Day Responsibilities (include, but not limited to):
- Create vision, strategy and annual plan for portfolio that he or she is responsible for.
- Define and execute profitable product strategies including the development of near & long term business plans and articulating them to senior leadership.
- Apply/practice product life cycle management principles from planning, launching to post-launch management, including end of life management, to optimize the performance of the assigned portfolio
- Understand the competitive environment and devise plans to differentiate and counteract
- Lead and collaborate with the Commercial organization to formulate and articulate value propositions to profitably position our products against the competition
- Responsible for defining and achieving annual Revenue and Contribution Margin objectives in accordance with the overall division strategy
- Establish standard pricing
- Lead strategy and decisions on major Quotation or Pricing events
- Work with cross functional colleagues to assess contract terms & conditions and present to Senior Management for approval
- Analyze business financial performance including product costs, sales price and fixed overhead expenses to identify and prioritize actions/initiatives that maximize product line profitability
- (Leadership) Lead the Product Team.
- Manage conflict resolution between commercial and operational groups and make key business decisions involving product line profitability, quality, product development and service.
- Work with the customer and sales team to identify new product opportunities.
- Clarify product development requirements and develop business cases for these projects.
- Be the Operations Champion for new product introductions and provide technical support for the development of product literature and promotional brochures.
- Represent Operations to the Commercial & Sales teams in driving for timely resolutions of product enhancement requests, orders prioritization and product quality concerns.
- Work with Procurement to effectively influence the supply chain for optimal efficiency and best cost.
- Interpret and aggregate customer demands and provide forecast to Manufacturing for capacity planning in the Sales and Operations Planning (SnOP) process.
- Plan and coordinate with assigned team to provide product training and support to the Customer Care organization.
- Key success factors -Sales revenue growth – product line and solution level -Product line and solution profitability (contribution margin) -Solution value add -Market Customer Demand Position (CDP) -Quality and speed of new products/solutions identified and launched -Product team effectiveness -Performance against Solutions, Product Team and personal objectives
Travel Requirements: 25%+, including international
- Bachelor's Degree – Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
- MBA Preferred
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- 5+ years of experience in product line management, marketing, manufacturing, or engineering in an engineering-based, fast-paced and customer-focused environment
- 2+ years of direct/indirect staff supervision a plus
- Successful candidate will have significant experience in one or more of these areas: wireless communications, network management or network virtualization
- Successful candidate will have a solid understanding of what is required to deploy products at service providers or large enterprises
- Experience in formulating product strategy including presenting and winning support from senior management for strategic proposals
- Must be able to clearly define, describe and articulate the key application/environmental factors/needs to formulate the next generation of products/solutions
- Proven ability to establish and leverage key customer relationships with tangible results
- Demonstrate entrepreneurship with the proven ability to predict/identify product & industry trends/needs to formulate visions and winning product strategies
- Should have taken one or more products from inception to launch
- Must demonstrate clear understanding of software development process and challenges
- Proven strong finance and analytical skills including the understanding of financial statements and the use of spreadsheet software
- Proven strong work ethic and attention to detail with excellent organizational skills
- Work efficiently on multiple projects and prioritize effectively to meet deadlines
- Proven ability to adapt quickly to changing requirements
- Fluent command of the English language and is able to compose and communicate, in written and verbal forms, complex business and technical issues to the various levels inside and outside of the organization
- Ability to work with other functional groups across cultures and deliver results
- Ability to develop others and resolve difficult personnel issues
- Ability to manage conflict
- Ability to plan, manage, execute multiple priorities and perform under pressure
- Demonstrate promptness and thoroughness
- Exhibit the ability to lead, listen and communicate
This position supports immigration sponsorship
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.