ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for meeting planned sales, margin and inventory turnover goals, and for Home.
- Develop and instill focused merchandise assortment strategies and inventory management.
- Must have brand development and product development.
- Supervise and manage Buyer, Associate Buyer, Assistant Buyer, and Administrative Assistant in Home (with a fully developed department).
- Execute sales margin and inventory plans.
- Partners with Allocation, Marketing, and Visual teams to ensure correct execution of assortments in store.
- Monitors performance versus plan to identify trend opportunities.
- Manages all aspects of the merchandise offering-selection, negotiation, promotion, and disposition.
- Develops customer driven assortments that support departmental goals and key item focus.
- Provides collaborative guidance, direction and support to the planning organization in the development of financial merchandise and key item plans.
- Ensures the merchandise selection matches customer needs.
- Ensures merchandise mix balances quantity, style, size and price consistent with the company and individual market requirements.
- Develop line strategies.
- Attend relevant trade shows, markets and events to observe market trends, gather product information, selects merchandise, and establishes business relationships with viable vendors.
- Visits stores to evaluate merchandise mix, observes competition, weighs individual store needs and translate findings into executable product plans.
- Develops and maintains relationships with vendors.
- Interacts with the vendor community within company’s standards and codes of ethics.
- Partners with the Planner to complete accurate forecasts by evaluating financial information, current trends and anticipated market changes that impact buy decisions and strategies.
- Coaches and develops Assistant Buyer to ensure growth and readiness for the next level position.
- Drives compliance and standards with processes, policies, tools, and associates within the group.
- Ensures promotional execution accuracy (pricing, signage, etc.)
- Proficient in the use of Excel and MS Word.
- Strong merchandising, product, and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and decision-making skills.
- Retail math literacy and application of concepts to daily operations.
- Ability to perform all essential duties and responsibilities listed above.
- Detail oriented and organized.
- Must be able to communicate in a professional manner and respond with timeliness.
- Able to effectively use common office equipment.
- Resourceful and able to research problems and recommend solutions.
- Numerical and analytical ability required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Trend and fashion awareness with ability to understand current trends, competition and market.
- Ability to reprioritize projects frequently.
- Must have ability to multitask.
- Independent, self-motivated, team player.
- Able to effectively communicate with all levels of staff and management.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- 8+ years of retail Buying experience in department store or specialty store chain required.
- 3+ years’ experience with Product Development.
- 5 years’ experience Home Buying.
- High School Diploma required.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a four year college or university; or four years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bonus eligible
- Comprehensive medical and dental benefits … vision is fully paid by us!
- Employee Discount online and in-store
- Discount on numerous attractions, travel and events
- Employee Sample Sale
- Relaxed work environment … wear what we sell in our stores
- 40 hours paid sick time granted on day 1!
- Fitness and wellness events, virtually or at the office
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to sit, stand, and operate business equipment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Typical office environment with low level noise exposure.
“Tillys will consider applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Municipal Code, Chapter XVIII, Article 9 (Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring (Ban the Box).”