Staff Accountant / Accounts Receivable / Accounts Payable
The Staff Accountant position is accountable for monitoring the progress of projects, investigating variances, approving expenses, and ensuring that project billings (AR) are issued to customers, payments collected and Vendors paid (AP). This position is fully responsible for the project billing process. Previous experience with construction billing preferred (AIA) and Sage 100 experience is a must for this role as well as strong accuracy. This position reports to the Controller. Position is currently situated in Wellesley, MA but will be moving to our Boston office later this year.
We are actively looking for a Staff Accountant to support our growing company.
The key responsibilities for this position are:
- Effectively communicate with Project Managers (PM) and Principals-in-Charge (PIC), regarding contract documents, change orders and other contract modifications, approvals, and any additional services-related to billing.
- Prepare final invoice package containing draft and final invoices for all billable projects, including all applicable backup for approval by the Accounting Supervisor.
- Mail final invoices file consultant and client invoice copies in the billing folder.
- Assess and pursue opportunities for maximization of client billing; communicate with the Accounting Supervisor, as to your observations and actions are taken.
- Research any unbilled issues to optimize the billing possibilities for the billing period.
- Maintain the billing folders for all projects, with all the appropriate documents, including expenses, Subcontractor invoices, and monthly invoices, in accordance with standard procedures.
- Perform the accounts payables. Keep track of subcontract contract amounts, change order amounts and make payments under the direction of PIC. It is expected that the Biller maintain a continuous line of communication to clear any open issues and work with the PM to resolve.
- Set up new projects
- Write off any uncollectible receivables, labor or expenses, as directed by the Controller.
- Work with subcontractors to receive required paperwork in a timely fashion, invoices, proof of insurance and lien waivers.
- Recommend and implement agreed process improvements to the billing cycle.
- Prepare special project analyses for the PICs, PMs and others.
- Provide year-end support of auditor requirements, which may include research and reconcilement.
- Perform additional assignments, as directed by the Controller.
- Bachelor's Degree or some college courses in Accounting or Business preferred.
- Intermediate to advanced computer literacy, including experience in word processing, spreadsheets and accounting software.
- More than 3 years of billing and receivables.
- A thorough knowledge of standard contract terms, including hourly, lumps sum, not-to-exceed and how they are applied in the billing process.
- Ability to work well with others under deadline situations and respond to changes in priorities.
- Good written and verbal communication skills and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities and see projects through to completion.
- Employ problem-solving skills and analysis, and report problems to the Controller, as necessary.
- Knowledge of the project structure in a client/consultant business environment.
- Knowledge of Sage Software is a plus
- Strong ability to multi-task.
- Organized in thought and work process.
- Professional, energetic and pleasant demeanor on the phone and in person.
- Ability to think on your feet and respond quickly to the demands of the position.
- Strong work ethic.
- Positive and proactive approach