The Staff Packaging Engineer leads projects to enable new Rockley Photonics products processes, and capabilities that meet company objectives. This position also requires technical and project leadership skills to implement new technologies and resolve issues. Decisions and execution in this role impact company results. The position requires photonics, electrical, and materials knowledge. The person in this position must work cross-functionally to arrive at best overall decisions for the company. The person in this role leads and implements innovative ideas and stays abreast of leading edge photonics and non-photonics packaging industry status.
*This list is not all inclusive. Additional duties will be assigned as needed.
- Leads packaging and cross-functional projects. Defines projects, priorities, budgets, schedules for new products and processes. Works cross-functionally to align and adjust as needed to meet company needs. Is expected to define innovative methods to assess capability and solve problems. Makes data based decisions and leads others to do so also.
- Designs experiments/DOEs, analyzes results, and drives resulting actions for new process development and problem resolution.
- Collaborates with the Design/Layout PIC, III-V teams, business teams, and Packaging/Test teams to create designs optimized for thermal mechanical, electrical and optical performance to satisfy customers and differentiate RP in the market.
- Participates in product design and design reviews to ensure manufacturability, performance, and yield. Drives documentation of design rules and system level preventative actions. Proactively identifies risks and mitigation to avoid problems. Drives product design to enable high yield.
- Present results and justify recommendations to executive management, customers, and peer teams.
- Performs FEA analyses on package designs and interconnect. Performs mechanical design and tolerance analysis. Ensures models are correlated to data and used appropriately. Uses models to inform design direction and make the best decision for Rockley.
- Select materials including epoxies, substrates, solders and dielectrics for best fit, cost, and performance.
- Designs test devices, substrates, and flex interconnect.
- Summarizes experimental results in reports. Creates and manages documentation for processes and materials developed for Assembly, Packaging, and Test. Owns processes from definition through NPI through production.
- Stays abreast of technical development in SiPh in the industry to help guide RP and feed into roadmaps
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Masters Degree (M.S.) in Materials Science Mechanical Engineering, or related field plus 10 yrs of experience, or equivalent industrial experience.
- Communicates clearly and directly, is approachable, relates well to others, engages people and helps them understand change, provides and seeks feedback, articulates clearly, actively listens to ensure requirements and design capabilities are understood.
- Takes personal responsibility. Demonstrates company values regularly in work and communication.
This position requires access to information protected under US export control laws, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and/or the Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these US export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Rockley is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Rockley is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know.