Job ID: 161139
Pike Industries, Inc., a subsidiary and integral part of CRH, is a leading Highway Contractor and the largest producer of Hot Mix Asphalt and Construction Aggregates in New England. Pike has experienced continual growth over the years and currently employs nearly 1,000 people throughout NH, ME and VT. The dedication, knowledge, and quality workmanship of our employees is what makes the company such a great success. If you’re looking for a challenging career at a company that will reward your efforts, look no further. Take the first step and apply for an exciting opportunity to gain top notch industry experience and pave the road to your success. All Roads Lead Here!
This position is responsible for facilitating the effective ordering of products and services and for ensuring that supply commitments and business needs are met. The Strategic Buyer supports a variety of employees within the organization to clarify needs, evaluate and determine suppliers, place orders and manage ongoing supplier interactions within the local operations. As needed, the Buyer will coordinate company procurement strategies which are aligned with divisional objectives.
- Execute procurement strategies through the use of the sourcing process, as directed.
- Work with field personnel, requestors and stakeholders to clarify specifications, establish source alternatives, increase standardization and otherwise increase value related to purchases.
- Coordinate the process of evaluating suppliers, negotiating supplier contracts and managing the performance of suppliers.
- Ensure that strategies are aligned with other business units, regions and divisions, with particular focus on key company and regional spend categories including indirect goods and business services.
- Drive adoption of sourced programs, as directed, to maximize value to the company.
- Obtain quotes and requests for proposals from potential vendors, as needed.
- Maintain an understanding of current inventory levels and future demands to assist the business (CAPEX and other projects).
- Monitor and research order history of similar products and services purchased to evaluate and track differences in costs, delivery, quality and performance.
- Be familiar with the supply chain (manufacturing, distribution, delivery, use, service and disposal) related to the products and services being purchased.
- Execute the generation and placing of orders with selected suppliers within the standard process and systems.
- Facilitate the approval process for draft purchase orders, and in certain cases based on factors such as purchase amount and/or complexity, provide subject matter procurement review and approval.
- Place approved purchases with suppliers.
- Expedite and assist with the troubleshooting of orders as needed.
- Actively support the management of supplier relationships and performance management.
- Work with suppliers and field personnel to improve the quality and / or performance of products and services.
- Work with Strategic Sourcing and the businesses to follow proper contract management practices with key suppliers and support the development of contracts for local vendors, as necessary.
- Assist field personnel and Sourcing to perform tests and demonstrations of products / services to evaluate value, compare results and / or identify alternatives and to ensure that supplier commitments are met.
- Work with Sourcing to track market conditions, pricing trends, and opportunities to maximize purchasing value.
- Support the vendor data management / vendor master maintenance processes through adherence to established payment terms and identifying the need for new or updated data information.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred with a minimum of 3 years of business, purchasing, operations or related experience.
- Experience working with P2P systems, databases / data warehouse applications, ERP systems and / or Microsoft Office applications required.
- Certified Professional in Supply Management (CPSM) or similar certification desired.
- Experience in mining, construction or manufacturing.
Knowledge / Skill Requirements
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to innovate.
- High ethical standards.
- Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks effectively with customer focus and responsiveness.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to work with suppliers and employees.
- Ability to drive change and sell new concepts and approaches through persistence, self-motivation, energy, tenacity, follow-through, and commitment.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
- Understanding of procurement’s impact on financial results.
What CRH Americas Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
About CRH Americas
CRH Americas has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the CRH Americas family. CRH Americas operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
CRH Americas is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the CRH Americas family!
Pike Industries, Inc. is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.