Interviews patients in office and schedule surgery for all physicians. Schedule post-operative appointments and enter into the physician’s schedule. When needed pre-certifies patients for surgery, maintains communication with OR scheduling staff, patients and office surgeons.
Provide the patient with pre-operative instructions and answer any outstanding questions or concerns the patient may have regard the procedure as appropriate.
- Books surgeries for all patients (inpatient and outpatient) when the doctors are scheduled to be in the OR as appropriate.
- Call Stamford Hospital Scheduling department to book all procedures.
- Review all CPT / ICD 10 codes with physicians for booking sheets.
- Complete booking form and submit to scheduling as per protocol.
- Write pre-operative request and fax to PCP or specialist as appropriate requested physician.
- Receive & Review pre-operative testing & history and physical from requested PCP’s or specialist as appropriate physician’s office and submit to pre-admissions department for review.
- Enter encounter into physician schedule.
- Scan all appropriate documentation including testing into patients medical record.
- Call insurance company for verification of CPT / ICD 10 codes for prior authorization.
- Document prior authorization in patients’ medical record.
- Receive and answer high volume of telephone calls from patients, regarding questions about surgery and/or cancellations. As appropriate level of assigned experiences and expertise.
- Book all x-ray localizations with Central Scheduling (Radiology) for patients having breast excisions. As appropriate to specialty.
- Book Sentinal Node injections with Central Scheduling (Radiology) to coordinate with Lymph Node procedures. As appropriate to specialty.
- Coordinate surgeries with other physician offices for shared surgeries.
- Call PCP or specialist as appropriate requested physician office for patients to book the pre-operative clearance visit when possible.
- Call PCP’s specialist as appropriate requested physician office to follow up on medical clearance and testing for surgeon’s review if not received in specified timeframe according to current protocol.
- Respects and protects the patient’s rights to confidentiality and privacy and discloses information only for the professional purposes which are in the patient’s best interests with full consideration of their legal rights.
- Displays a positive attitude when interacting with physician’s office staff, physicians and fellow employees of the surgical center
- Attends scheduled staff meetings, in-service education opportunities and participates in continuing education programs. Formulates and maintains effective working relationships with employees and other managers of the health care team.
- Enroll the patient in the EMMI Program and encourage them to participate in the program to ensure they are prepared for their upcoming procedure and recovery.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested in order to maintain a high level of service
- High School Graduate or equivalent.
- Basic Computer skills are necessary.
- Excellent telephone skills.
- Excellent customer service / communication skills.
- Minimum of 2 years previous experience in a similar position.
- Must be able to read, write and speak the English language.