Transportation Manager interfaces with both the sales and operations teams to insure timely and complete collection of clothing donations. This is a leadership role with significant interaction with employed and contracted drivers and site finding and bin deployment teams. Position is responsible for planning and supervising daily collections. Responsibilities include traditional personnel management, dispatch and routing duties, status reporting, problem solving with regular communication to management, etc. Position will also contribute to process development within Operations/Sales for the purpose of improving quality of service and to provide preventative solutions to recurring problems. Success or failure is predicated on reaching collection goals of the Division as well as the unit.
- Supervise drivers and transportation staff including route coordinator
- Ensure all drivers and contractors work productively, proficiently and safely, striving for constant improvement and timely servicing of all collection boxes
- Lead safety effort within Transportation Department
- Ensure all drivers meet DOT guidelines
·Recruit, hire and train new drivers at appropriate levels to ensure proper box servicing
·Performance management and staff development for transportation department
·Arrange unscheduled box inspections and monitor missed stops
·Maintain company vehicles including safety, cleanliness and appearance, registration, general maintenance
·Ensure correct and secure handling of boxes, carts, pallet jacks and other equipment being moved in trucks
·Maintain lease vehicle reporting and maintenance schedule
·Affix company information (logo, wrapping) on all company vehicles
·Weekly calculation and posting of emptying percentages
- Plan and track daily dispatched routes. Analyze yields and determine needed emptying frequencies for each box.
- Optimize and re-arrange routes as needed when new boxes or new information makes it necessary
- Manage placement, swapping, and relocation of boxes to ensure quality collections
- Manage rotation of boxes in need of maintenance
- Ensure drivers are meeting their departure times, have correct paperwork, and are promptly leaving for their routes
- Take phone calls from drivers related to breakdowns/accidents, issues with site locations, etc.
- Manage, recode and file daily paperwork including trip inspections, load sheets, driver logs and files, DOT records, etc.
- Use NavTrak GPS Application to track productivity
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma required – two year degree desired
- Bachelor’s Degree in Distribution, Business or Communications a plus
- Intermediate level Word, Excel, Outlook skills with ability to learn new software skills
· Strong DOT background
- 3+ years supervisory experience
- 5 years’ experience with routing, dynamic daily-routing, logistics and route-driving
- Experience in local delivery
- Proven record of strong problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and demonstrate flexibility
- Ability to organize and archive large amounts of information
- Demonstrated success as independent leader with strong team building abilities
Activities involve combinations of walking, sitting, standing, bending and lifting items up to 50 pounds. Manual dexterity required.
Must have driver’s license and good driving record.