Tutor Part Time - Organic Chemistry - OLI0000688
Duties and Responsibilities
TUTOR PART TIME - ORGANIC CHEMISTRY
Olive-Harvey is currently seeking an Organic Chemistry Tutor (PT) to join our team. The Tutor bridges the gap between the college and the needs of the student. This position also helps students make academic progress, while promoting independent learning and self-reliance. We strive to provide high-quality educational programs and support services to ensure the academic and future success of all our students. We encourage students to seek tutoring opportunities to gain a deeper comprehension of course content and to enhance the learning environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides academic assistance to assigned tutees, either in a group or individually.
- Establishes liaison with the instructor and works under the instructor’s direction to assist the student.
- Attends periodic training sessions given by staff members to increase competency in working with students.
- Maintains records on each student who is being tutored, including follow-up and periodic assessment.
- Schedules tutoring appointments.
- Provides evaluations and other reports as required by staff.
- Helps students develop positive attitudes toward learning and studying and helps students develop a high level of motivation in academic areas.
- Assists students in achieving a better understanding of specific subject material and in improving academic capabilities in designated areas.
- Helps students develop the study skills necessary for academic success.
- Establishes and maintains rapport with the assigned students.
- Assists in designing and implementing class cooperative projects.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in the Chemistry. Consideration will be given to candidates who do not have a Bachelors degree but possess technical certification(s) necessary for the subject being tutored.
- Experience teaching/tutoring Organic Chemistry preferred.
- Possess excellent communication skills, and the ability to work with a diverse student body.
- Must be self-directed and able to complete assignments in a timely manner.
- Completion of tutoring certification preferred.
- Experience in teaching, tutoring, or delivering academic support to students at the post-secondary instructional level is strong preferred.
- Experience working in a large, urban community college environment with a diverse cultural and ethnic student body is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in the subject area to be tutored.
- Knowledge of effective tutoring techniques and strategies in in subject area(s).
- Knowledge of tutoring strategies and use for improving students study skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City College of Chicago!
Primary Location: Olive-Harvey College
Employee Type: Part Time | Regular
Union Code: 1600PTPROF