Unarmed Security Guard
Job Code: 1261
Department: KCKCC Police
Division: Financial & Facility Services
Reports to: Chief of Police
Positions Supervised: N/A
Location: All KCKCC Locations
The Unarmed Security Guard maintains high visibility on College property to help deter crimes against students, staff, and property in order to assist the Kansas City Kansas Community College (KCKCC) Police Officers in providing a safe College environment. This position will be responsible for performing unlocks, delivering messages, parking enforcement, jumpstarts, and escorts. To accomplish these tasks the Security Guard works closely with the staff of the KCKCC Police department of the College. This single posting will be used to fill four (4) positions.
- Follow college protocols, policies, procedures and/or training necessary to effectively safeguard the students, staff, faculty, and visitors at all KCKCC locations
- Patrol and inspect interior and exterior of all various KCKCC locations and activities; performs routine and emergency unlocking/ locking of facility, security checks, provides security services during events, to identify suspicious activity and ensure student, staff, faculty, and visitor safety on foot, bike, cart, and/or department patrol vehicle
- Contact the police or fire department(s) as needed in the event of emergency. Provide support as needed (directions, building access, scene security, etc.)
- Observes, reports and investigates reports of suspicious vehicles, people or activities at any KCKCC location with the aptitude to complete clear, concise and accurate incident reports and other documentation. Enforces college regulations pertaining to all day and evening activities and to check exterior lighting and emergency access routes
- Be familiar with appropriate safety, security and/or emergency related training (e.g., weather related, fire, medical, CPR, AED, any evacuations, etc.) requirements and other related programs
- Assist with providing general information to College community and guest
- Wear department issued uniform or / approved attire daily
- Assist in the development of forms and procedures to be utilized for safety and security of the college
- Participate in meetings (internal and/or external) as appropriate or necessary
- Maintain confidentiality of all departmental, police and college information
- Ability to implement and follow all College health and safety policies, including all precautions of the Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Plan
- Observe any safety hazards/ maintenance issues and promptly report them to appropriate persons
- Knowledge of operational procedures and methods used in daily operations of a college police department, such as: effectively operate a variety of equipment including portable radios, computers, closed-circuit and access control systems to include but not limited to the following, install cameras, pulling wire for camera/alarm installs, work with fire system, make keys, install locks, monitor video camera system, police radio system, and emergency text messaging system as needed
- Interacts with students, staff, faculty, visitors, local police officers/ emergency personnel in a positive and professional manner; communicate effectively, while using tact, discretion and courtesy even in a stressful situation.
- Understanding of community policing within the context of the unique needs of a diverse, urban community college setting
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief of Police or their designee
Minimum Qualifications and/or Education
- High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent
- One (1) year experience as a security guard or related role
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a clear motor vehicle record
Preferred Qualifications and/or Education
- Degree in Criminal Justice
- Evidence of two (2) or more years’ experience as a security guard or related role
- Listed experience using Microsoft Office products
Must work in noisy and crowded environments, with numerous interruptions. Requires stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, and turning. Report writing. The work to be performed is outside in seasonal temperatures as well as inside of the various KCKCCC locations.
40 hours per week Monday - Friday, must be able to work a variable schedule/hour to meet operational needs. May require evening and weekend hours.
Pay grade level: Grade 9
Compensation: $27,989 - $34,986
Employee category: Staff
Position Type: Full-Time
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
- Read the job announcement carefully noting the initial screening date, minimum qualifications, and required information. Note that information contained in your application materials will be used to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Make sure you complete/submit all the documents listed as required.
- If the position lists a required transcript (during the application process) unofficial transcripts may be submitted. However, please note that upon selection for hire, you will be required to submit official transcripts.
- Ensure that your transcripts show that a degree was awarded or conferred if you are stating that it is your highest level of education completed. If you certify your level of education and it cannot be verified from your transcript(s), your application may not be referred to the selection committee.
- Foreign degrees are acceptable provided they have been translated and/or shown to have equivalency to a United States: Associate, Bachelor, Master, or Doctorate level degree.
- Documentation verifying completion of a degree, course work within a discipline, or other educational criteria should be electronically attached (uploaded) to your application.
- Three (3) professional references with phone number and email addresses are required.
- A college selection committee is responsible for application review and interviews. The final candidate(s) selected to be hired will be made by the hiring manager.
- Successful completion of a background check on all persons recommended for employment is required Individual hiring departments may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process.
***This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.