Founded in 1938, San Diego County Credit Union is San Diego’s largest locally-owned financial institution and one of the largest credit unions in the country! As we continue to lead the way in providing breakthrough banking products, we attribute our success to our family of financial service professionals. We believe it takes a happy, healthy and hard-working team to be an industry leader. San Diego County Credit Union achieves this through our “Feel the Teal” culture built on our sense of pride and passion for our brand, our work and our community. We’re looking for a positive, energetic, like-minded Underwriter that is dedicated to providing WOW service to our customers and the community.
The successful applicant will be responsible for reviewing real estate loan applications and rendering credit decisions according to credit union policies/procedures and applicable Federal, State and NCUA rules, regulations, laws and secondary market guidelines. You will also determine whether applicants show a willingness and financial ability to repay.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyze loan applications, credit bureau reports, collateral evaluation, title review, member account data, financial statements, income verification and other loan documentation to make consistent lending decisions on real estate loans.
- Communicate and coordinate effectively with real estate loan processors to gather information to make appropriate credit decisions. Clearly summarize loan request and approve, counter offer or deny the loan, up to the maximum delegated lending authority as established by credit union policy or procedure.
- Remain well informed of the credit union’s lending updates, criteria, guidelines, procedures, policies, and processes. Ensure loan documentation is complete and accurate according to credit union policy requirements, lending guidelines and compliance regulations.
- Work closely with real estate loan processors, internal and external staff, to answer questions, clarify conditions or documentation requested, and resolve any issues that may arise.
- Apply real estate policies and procedures to determine risk associated with loan requests outside of normal policy guidelines.
- Prioritize pipeline to manage timely review of loan files; monitor loans and sign-off underwriting conditions to meet targeted closing dates. Maintain communication with processors, vendors, and management of status throughout the duration of the loan process.
- Provide excellent member service (external and internal) by completing the loan process timely, efficiently, and with minimal errors.
- Meet or exceed loan production volume and published turnaround times for reviewing loans in the underwriting queue.
- Assist in the creation and implementation of guidelines and procedures for all real estate loan products. Periodically review implemented lending procedures and make update recommendations to management.
- Participate in AML/BSA compliance training as assigned. Adhere to credit union AML/BSA policy and procedures including CTR rules and form preparation, identify and refer suspicious activity to the Compliance Department, perform OFAC comparisons, and properly identify individuals in accordance with Branch Operations procedures.
- High school education or equivalent.
- A minimum of 3 years of prior experience in any combination of real estate lending processing, and/or underwriting.
- Working knowledge of real estate lending functions including underwriting and processing, the ability to analyze income, credit reports, preliminary title report, residential appraisals, and calculate ratios.
- Working knowledge of financial institution regulations and policies, including Regulation Z, Regulation B, TRID, HMDA, FCRA & FACTA, Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA).
- Ability to read and develop an understanding of FNMA/MI underwriting guidelines, company policies and other agency guidelines (e.g. FHLMC, FHA, VA) as needed.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work under time constraints, prioritize workload and resolve conflicts tactfully.
- PC literate, Mortgage Cadence or Symitar experience preferred.
SDCCU offers competitive salaries, a motivating environment and a generous benefits package. For immediate consideration, please apply today: www.sdccu.com/about/careers. EOE