Closing Date: May 14, 2018
The Office of Technology and Facility Services is looking for a dynamic individual to join our team. Excelsior College, a regionally accredited, virtual, private, nonprofit institution of higher learning is seeking dynamic applicants for the position of Unix System Engineer, in the Office of Technology and Facility Services.
This is a full-time position with competitive benefits based in 7 Columbia Circle, Albany,NY.
The Unix Systems Engineer is responsible for analyzing, designing, installing, configuring and maintaining Excelsior College’s on-premise Linux-based servers, web application server software, identity management infrastructure and load balancing software. The Unix Systems Engineer is also responsible for the design, creation and maintenance of the cloud-based Linux systems servicing portions of the college’s website and LMS services. The Unix Systems Engineer works closely with other Systems Engineers, Database Administrators, and Network Engineers to ensure the accurate and reliable performance of the Linux servers, web application services, Windows servers and network and storage infrastructure. The individual also interfaces with systems developers and web content providers to provide effective technology solutions to meet business needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Install, configure, monitor and maintain on-premise Linux servers that are used for databases, web application, email, printing, monitoring and file sharing services.
- Design, Deploy, configure and maintain cloud-based Linux servers and applications that scale automatically to increase uptime and performance, while keeping costs reasonable.
- Create and maintain a robust configuration management system to ensure systems and applications remain in sync and repeatable across the local and remote data centers as well as within the cloud infrastructure.
- Install, configure, maintain and monitor web application and identity management server software.
- Install, configure, maintain and monitor load balancing software.
- Maintain and configure system monitoring tools that trend performance and alert to issues.
- Develop appropriate tests to diagnose, debug and troubleshoot system issues.
- Communicate with various technical support contacts to solicit expert assistance and advice.
- Take appropriate intervention to correct system problems and improve performance.
- Stay informed of new Linux, application server and identity management software developments, version upgrades and patches.
- Write policies, procedures, and technical documentation.
- Prepare accurate time estimates for projects and manage tasks to meet deadlines.
- Maintain and enhance disaster-recovery strategies for all Unix systems and web applications.
- Working with other infrastructure team members, collaborate on network, SAN and infrastructure design.
- Support systems developers, content developers, and other team members.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field.
- At least five years of Linux server administration and five years of web application server administration.
- Experience with implementing, configuring and maintaining the following: Redhat & Centos Linux, Apache HTTP, Apache Tomcat, Zabbix, HAProxy, Docker, Liferay, OpenLDAP, SSL certificates, Clustering, Puppet, NetApp Storage, and AWS.
- Demonstrated troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to rapidly assimilate and apply new technical knowledge.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work successfully in team environments.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Flexibility to work early mornings, evenings and weekends to perform off-hours system administration; Must be willing to provide on-call support when needed.