REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMITTANCE TO THE EXAMINATION
Examination Application Form (STD 678 Rev. 10/2013) may be postmarked or submitted in person on a continuous basis.
FAXED OR E-MAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Successful completion of a recognized utility craft apprenticeship. (Apprentices who are within six months of completion of their apprenticeship may be admitted to the examination, but they must present evidence of successful completion of their apprenticeship before they may be appointed.)
Four years of varied construction or maintenance experience in any combination of functions such as maintenance carpentry, pipe fitting, painting, welding, plumbing, concrete, or electrical work, and which must have included one year of experience operating medium or heavy maintenance or construction equipment.
SPECIAL LICENSE REQUIREMENT
Possession of a valid permanent Class C California driver's license. (A Class C is defined as a standard California driver's license.)
In addition, a valid unrestricted California Class A driver's license and appropriate special endorsements and certificates that are required to fully comply with vehicular regulations must be obtained. Employees must meet these requirements within 90 calendar days of appointment.
Positions exist in several counties of the State, but we're advertising for San Joaquin Field Division, which is located in Kern County.
Written Test – Weighted Pass/Fail
A. Knowledge of:
1. General maintenance and construction.
2. Equipment operation and maintenance.
Qualification Appraisal Interview– Weighted 100%
In addition to evaluating the competitors’ relative abilities as demonstrated by quality and breadth of experience, emphasis in the examining interview will be on measuring competitively, relative to job demands, each competitor’s:
A. Knowledge of
1. Operation and maintenance of medium and heavy maintenance and construction equipment.
2. Tools and practices used in welding, protective coating, painting, carpentry, plumbing, pipe
fitting, rigging, sandblasting, masonry, concrete, cathodic protection, and electrical.
3. Levee repair.
4. Pesticide application.
5. Safe working practices and departmental rules and regulations.
6. Federal, State, and local agency regulations applicable to use of pesticides, control
burning, and transportation of heavy equipment.
7. Environmental regulations.
B. Ability to:
1. Apply required knowledge.
2. Perform varied skilled work relating to flood control and repair of project facilities.
3. Follow directions.
4. Read and work from plans, drawings, and specifications.
5. Use of computers.
6. Assist in training of apprentice level employees.
7. Keep work records and make reports.
8. Maintain good relationships with people.
9. Ability and agility at a level required for successful job performance.
HOW TO APPLY
You must submit the Examination Application (STD 678 Rev. 10/2013) by the Cut-Off Dates of July 31. If you miss this cutoff date, your application will be held until the next testing date.
MAILING ADDRESS: OR SUBMIT IN PERSON:
Department of Water Resources Department of Water Resources
P.O. Box 942836 1416 9th Street, Room 320
Sacramento, CA 94236-0001 Sacramento, CA 95814
For an application, please click the following link https://www.jobs.ca.gov/pdf/std678.pdf. Applications are also available at Department of Water Resources (DWR) offices, the DWR website: www.water.ca.gov/jobs/currentexams.cfm, local office of the Employment Development Department, and CalHR at www.jobs.ca.gov and click "my Profile" tab.
DO NOT SEND APPLICATIONS TO THE CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES (CalHR) OR DEPARTMENT OF WATER RESOURCES’ FIELD OFFICES.