OUR EXCITING OPPORTUNITY
In this role, the Vice President Philanthropy will take the lead in the creation of dynamic brand strategies aligned to build sustainable support in impacting the lives of hundreds of residents; playing a critical part in the work and dedication of Community Action Partnership of Orange County’s initiatives. It’s leadership with a cause and the rewards are immeasurable!
Our agency is celebrating more than 50 years of helping people and changing lives! Since 1964, Community Action Partnership of Orange County has worked to enhance the quality of life in Orange County by eliminating and preventing the causes and effects of poverty.
We have remained true to our mission “to enhance the quality of life within Orange County by eliminating and preventing the causes and effects of poverty by mobilizing and directing resources to programs that assist, educate, and promote self-sufficiency.” The staff of Community Action Partnership of Orange County are committed to serving the communities where they work and live. They come from all walks of life; rallying to support those in need, ending poverty and building stronger communities.
With more than 100 employees and a budget of over $29 Million dollars to help people and change lives. The CAP of OC provides and mobilizes resources to help people at or below the federal poverty level to help themselves. Providing safety-net services and working with civic leaders to bring solutions to problems and build stronger and healthier communities
What you will accomplish in this role
Under the direction of the President and CEO, the Vice President of Philanthropy will lead and inspire the philanthropic team in our advancement efforts to secure major gifts, corporate donations, grant solicitation, planed giving, and in-kind resources through a robust sustainability strategy. The Vice President Philanthropy will increase CAP of OC’s brand in existing markets and establish new dynamic stakeholder relationships.
- Build awareness and support from all constituent bodies and programs, including philanthropy, major gifts, public relations, and government relations
- Increases revenues to support the strategic direction of the organization through
- Proactively engage funding program support of the Board of Directors and President/CEO
- Uphold the highest ethics in philanthropic activities
- Increase productivity through the successful evaluate all philanthropic activities and processes
- Stay ahead of trends in the community or region and adapt philanthropic strategies as necessary.
- Develop and manage targeted timelines
- Design effective policies and procedures
- Secure grant funding through the implementation of effective philanthropic acquisitions and renewals
- Prepare letters, reports, proposals and grant applications in conjunction with other agency departments.
- Execute special strategic philanthropic events
- Secure relationships with corporate, community and individual prospects for the organization's philanthropic priorities
- Oversee the administration of a donor mailing list and database which respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor information.
- Maintain high levels of confidentiality of benefactors and in-kind donations and make decisions regarding the issuing of receipts
- Foster an understanding of philanthropy and transform the culture within the organization
- Develop and gain approval for an annual income and expenditure budget for the philanthropic program
- Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets, receipts and expenditure related to philanthropic and the management of the philanthropic activities
- Monitor expenses and analyze budget reports on philanthropy and recommend changes as necessary
- Develops and implements strategic marketing plans and forecasts
- Impacts increase in sales/marketing operating budgets through strategic direction
- Implements effective advertising and promotion activities including print, online, electronic media, and direct mail
- Produces high long-term market share through effective brand positioning
- Achieves satisfactory profit/loss ratio and market share
- Ensures effective control of marketing results, and takes corrective action to guarantee that achievement of marketing objectives falls within designated budgets
- Pivot marketing strategy to meet changing, competitive conditions
- Establishes and maintains relationships with industry influencers and key strategic partners
- Guides preparation of marketing activity reports and presents to executive management
- Establishes and maintains a consistent corporate image throughout all product lines, promotional materials, and events
- Lead staffing, training, and performance evaluations to develop and control philanthropic programs
- Analyzes and controls expenditures of division to conform to budgetary requirements
- Assists other departments within the organization to prepare manuals and technical publications
- Reviews and analyzes performances against programs quotes and plans to determine effectiveness
STAFF DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES
- Lead direct team in the successful implementation of philanthropic programs
- In consultation with the President/CEO, recruit, interview, and select well-qualified fund philanthropic staff
- Engage volunteers for special philanthropic projects using established volunteer management practices
The ideal candidate has knowledge and experience in:
- Presentation and knowledge of Federal and provincial legislation affecting charities
- Effective Leadership skills
- Strong decision-making skills
- Philanthropic and donor software
- Creating effective reports and spreadsheets
- Keen Business Acumen
- Communication Proficiency
- Customer/Client Focus
- Presentation Skills
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Results Driven
The ideal candidate must be:
- Creative/Innovative: Develop new and unique ways to improve the finances of the organization and to create new opportunities
- Ethically Focused: Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure own behavior and the behavior of others are consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Relationship Driven: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization
- Effective Communicator: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques
- Focused on Donor Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of donors to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Inclusive: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization
- This role works indoors and occasionally outdoors for special events
Education and experience
Bachelor's Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred in a relevant field and minimum 5 years of proficient philanthropic and marketing experience for a Non-profit entity. A certificate in Philanthropic Management is an asset.
How to apply
Please Apply at Community Action Partnership of Orange County’s website at www.capoc.org.
MEDICAL EXAMINATION AND BACKGROUND CHECK
A medical examination is required of each new employee whose physical condition must meet the minimum requirements prescribed for the position. In addition, prospective employees must pass a drug screening examination and background check. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
THE PROMISE OF COMMUNITY ACTION
Community Action changes people’s lives, embodies the spirit of hope, improves communities, and a makes America a better place to live. We care about the entire community, and we are dedicated to helping people help themselves and each other.