This position is in the Cary Network Management Center (NMC) on the Voice Switching and SS7 team. This is a 24 X 7, shiftwork, environment. Shifts can rotate so flexibility and the ability to work any shift is a must.
The Engineer is responsible for monitoring and surveillance of Legacy Voicemail and Global SS7 networks for various switching technologies (Genband, Sonus, Lucent, Ericsson, Alcatel, Tekelec). The CaryNMC-Voice team is responsible for the maintenance and surveillance of the Genband CIM (uReach), Comverse, IBM, SC3100, and SS8 Serie6 Voicemail platforms and all SS7 links globally.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Proactive network monitoring of link and switch network elements via Network Management systems
- Following established procedures and policies when responding to network alarms and events
- Performing initial trouble triage to include fault isolation and providing and/or engaging next Tier technical support as required
- Trouble ticket management, flash notification management, escalation management
- Successfully communicating technical information and status to customer service centers, technical support organizations and management teams
- Ability to clearly communicate status of work activities both verbally and written
The Engineer specific responsibilities include event handling, alarm analysis, ticketing, outage notification, call handling, handling escalations, and ensuring that our customers are the #1 priority.
Additional responsibilities include driving and troubleshooting voicemail and SS7 link issues from switching technologies, interfacing with technical support and other internal Transport teams.
- Associate’s degree or two or more years of work experience (Bachelor degree in related fields preferred - EE, Computer Science, Electronics or other Technical)
- Strong knowledge of telecommunications equipment and technologies, such as Telephony Switching, Data Communications, Network Routers, DS0 and T1 Circuit Testing experience a major plus
- Demonstrated ability to follow documented processes and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, written, and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with internal and external organizations as necessary coordinating, troubleshooting, and driving remediation of network events.
- Proven ability to provide timely and accurate network information to management and other groups during network events and major outages.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including shift work, weekends and holidays.
- Knowledge of routing protocols, tools and experience with internal systems (i.e. IMPACT, VRepair, OASIS, MASTARS) is highly desired. Vendor certifications are strongly desired.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills desired.
- Ability to generate, drive and update problem-tracking tickets via multiple systems. Work with external and internal organizations coordinating and troubleshooting network events.
- Ability to provide timely and accurate network information to both management and other groups during network events and major outages.
- Comprehensive knowledge of specialized VoIP and TDM telecommunications equipment and technologies (Genband, Sonus, Lucent, Ericsson, Alcatel, Tekelec switch and STP technologies), processes and systems as well as department and company policies and procedures.
- Fundamental knowledge of operations procedures and ability to perform in a fast paced environment while adhering to established guidelines desired.
- Good organizational and multi-tasking skills desired