Looking for a rewarding position? How would you like to serve those who served?
If you are looking for an opportunity to work for a great organization & make a difference, this is the job for you!
Come & join our winning team!
Benefits include Paid Vacation, Sick Time, Paid Holidays, Medical, Dental, Vision and Company matching 401K
Volunteer & Veteran Activities Coordinator
This position reports directly to the Program Manager and is responsible for coordinating activities for veterans and their families enrolled in United States Veterans Initiative’s (U.S.VETS) programs and coordinating volunteers to support activities and secure resources that benefit veteran households.
- Develops, promotes, and maintains a wide range of volunteer opportunities within the U.S.VETS site
- Surveys staff regularly to assess needs for volunteer assistance and surveys clients for needs and preferences for activities
- Coordinates volunteer application process in conjunction with Human Resources as needed and recruits, interviews, and places applicants for volunteer work to support site activities, events, and program departments
- Coordinates volunteer placement within programs and departments and assists department supervisors and staff in ensuring volunteer supervision
- Conducts and/or arranges for volunteer orientation and training in conjunction with Human Resources department
- Creates, updates, and maintains volunteer position descriptions for various volunteer assignments
- Maintains accurate records and provides timely statistical and activity reports on volunteer participation
- Cultivates relationships and conducts presentations with local community agencies, schools, social organizations, community service programs, subsidized employment programs, and businesses to establish an active network of volunteers and community resources to support U.S.VETS programs
- Organizes and conducts site tours related to volunteer and veteran activities
- Ensures materials and presentations associated with volunteer and veteran activities properly reflect U.S.VETS brand
- Manages database entry and records of incoming in-kind donations for goods and services
- Generates thank you letters and other recognition for donors and volunteers
- Supports Development & Communications Manager and Executive Director with the planning and execution of on and off-site development and fundraising events
- Develops and maintains a current calendar of veteran and volunteer activities and site events related to U.S.VETS programs
- Supports veterans in reaching their personal social, recreational and vocational goals and improving quality of life through therapeutic activities
- Plans, organizes, directs, and participates in a variety of on and off-site therapeutic and recreational activities for veterans such as fitness activities, cooking classes, field trips, arts and crafts, bowling, sporting events, showing of movies, and games
- Transports and/or coordinates transportation for volunteer and veteran activities
- Tracks client participation numbers to measure activity success as well as grant related metrics
- Other duties as assigned to include special projects and tasks to support Development & Communications Manager and Executive Director
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field preferred. Minimum of two years of relevant experience may substitute for degree requirements.
- Minimum of one year experience in coordinating volunteer programs and activities.
- Experience working with homeless and/or veteran population preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of clients, staff, and community members.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and use good time management to handle a variety of duties.
- Willingness to adjust hours to accommodate the needs of the job in this residential program environment to include ensuring activities occur for veterans on holidays
- Strong interpersonal skills, together with the ability to listen to colleagues and donors, and tact in dealing with potential areas of overlap
- Demonstrated ability in Microsoft Office programs such as Word and Excel
- Valid driver’s license required. Must meet company insurance requirements and complete a provided driver training course.