Plastipak Packaging is a global industry leader in the design and manufacturing of plastic rigid containers of the highest quality. Our list of customers include some of the worlds most recognized and respected brands such as Procter & Gamble, Kraft Foods and Pepsi, just to name a few. Plastipak is fully invested in our associates providing hands-on training opportunities, unlimited access to industry innovations and motivation for career development. Our commitment to our employees is demonstrated in numerous awards for innovation, environmental sustainability, and corporate citizenship. We pride ourselves on an environment where our associates have the freedom and encouragement to reach beyond the ordinary, with unlimited possibilities.
Plastipak is an equal opportunity employer.
The Area Leader is responsible for the efficient performance of all phases of materials storage, shipping and receiving operations. The Area Leader is also responsible for directing the work of the Material Handlers. They must be responsible to act in accordance with the policies set forth in the current procedure manual.
- Ability to adhere to the attendance and punctuality policy.
- Supervision of the Material Handlers on their shift.
- Initiates disciplinary action and re-training for Material Handlers that display actions of an unsafe manner or show repeated failure to follow processes and procedures.
- Coordinates resources to adhere to raw materials planning directives.
- Maintains and adheres to work instructions for verification of incoming and outgoing shipments, handling/disposition of raw materials and inventory accuracy.
- Provides for movement and storage of all materials.
- Establishes, maintains and utilizes modified FIFO inventory at all site storage locations.
- Responsible for maintaining and implementing sound storage location planning, organization, and cleanliness.
- Responsible for transaction accuracy, product scanning, materials inventory and process reliability.
- Transfer of materials from storage locations to production supply area as necessary or directed.
- Documents all shipments both inbound and outbound.
- Initiates all Inbound and Storage Materials Complaints as well as all SAP hold initiatives. Responsible for developing and maintaining work instructions as per ISO standards.
- Assists in Dock Coordination for all materials.
- Participates in physical inventories as well as inventory verification through cycle counting.
- Accountable for the maintaining a Lean Culture. Ensure all 6S tasks and tools are being utilized and adhered to.
- Focuses on Continuous Improvement in safety, productivity, quality, inventory accuracy, and customer satisfaction.
- Ensures effective communications are flowing between shifts.
- Initiates and participates in Kaizen events.
- Works in a safe and efficient manner at all times, monitors team members for safe practices, and mentors best methods, ensuring that all near misses and incidents are properly reported and documented.
- Follows and enforces company and local work rules, safety rules, GMP, policies, procedures, and work instructions.
- Directs and monitors the workflow and daily work functions of the team.
- Responsible for ensuring required and appropriate associate training is occurring, mentoring and qualifying associates, and using the Technical Training paths as guides. (train, mentor and quality)
- Effectively and efficiently schedule and monitor team members’ breaks and lunch periods.
- Provides input to Team Leader on performance evaluations and on disciplinary actions.
- Actively participates in team meetings.
- Reports any non-conformities, production, machine or quality issues, or concerns on process to the department Team Leader.
- Performs duties and tasks as assigned to ensure efficient, balanced, and effective use of all resources.
- Initiates action for food safety issues.
- All other miscellaneous related duties and functions as may be assigned by leadership.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills (as demonstrated during the hiring process)
- Strong Leadership skills (as demonstrated during the hiring process or internal experiences)
- Proficient in computer programs
- Must be out of orientation period and in good company standing (if internal applicant).
- Must have a more than acceptable performance evaluation score (if internal candidate)
- Internal training requirements for current position (if internal candidate) must be completed and up-to-date
- Able to multitask in a faced-paced environment
- High level of personal integrity
- Possess strong safety focus
- Technically oriented and knowledgeable in manufacturing systems
- Strong Decision making skills with limited information
- Strong Customer Focus
- Independent thinker and effective troubleshooter
- Meets all Material Handler Requirements
- Prior experience in warehousing operations and forklift operations
- Ability to demonstrate SAP knowledge and transaction competence
- Must be able to lead Kaizen events in the facility
- Initiate and document process improvements
- High School diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Four year degree in relevant major and/or 3-5 years of relevant warehousing experience (preferably in manufacturing environment)
- Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear.
- Frequently required to push or pull bins and carts, stand, walk, and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Occasionally required to sit and climb or balance.
- Must regularly lift and/or move up to fifteen pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to fifty pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than one hundred pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.