POSITION: Buyer Trainee
REPORTS TO: Commercial Manager
POSITION SUMMARY: Upon successful completion of the buyer training program this position will be responsible for the purchase of ferrous and non-ferrous scrap at the prescribed quantities and pricing guidelines as established by the Commercial Director.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain and develop the profitable growth of ferrous and non-ferrous accounts through effective daily procurement of quality scrap. Requires detailed management and ownership of the process from - point of purchase - control of delivery/scrap receipts managing freight costs resolving any downgrades while managing supplier/company relationships.
- Purchase scrap metal materials in accordance with current market conditions based upon pricing standards/models established by senior management.
- Full responsibility of internal and external customer service relating to ferrous or non-ferrous business under their oversight.
- Communication and coordination of scrap purchasing deliverables in the Region as would be routinely required by Facility/Yard Managers, Transportation and Accounting.
- Visit existing customers on a regular basis addressing quality issues, company expectations and credit exposure. Maintain customer database records.
- Supplier based diversification- Expand existing customer supply base for increased market share across varied commodities while developing new supplier relationships for future profitable growth and expansion.
- Possess and demonstrate analytical skills to conduct anysles to ensure sound decision making. Maintain and manage the profit/loss analysis spreadsheet, and constantly work on improving the processes and/or profitability of the accounts.
- Maintain knowledge of federal, state, and local environmental regulations in order to purchase materials in compliance.
- Secure approval on all contracts or letters of agreement from the Commercial Director.
- Pricing outside of the standards/models must be approved by the Commercial Director prior to purchasing.
- Assist with development of annual procurement plans or opportunities for the region.
- Maintain knowledge of federal, state and local environmental regulations in order to establish a compliant purchasing program including educating customers about EPA CFC compliance requirements and obtaining necessary supplier agreements related to CFC removal and Refrigeration Management, then supplying those agreements in a timely manner to the SRC contract administrator and other company representatives as required.
- Perform other commercial and/or market related duties and responsibilities as directed and assigned by Supervisor.
- Bachelor's degree is required. Business Degree preferred.
- Microsoft Office (Excel/Outlook/PowerPoint) must be able to use as required by the job. Experience utilizing a CRM is preferred.
- Work experience in Sales, Customer Service, or other roles where problem solving was a key function of the role.
- Worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: viewing a computer monitor; preparing/analyzing data/figures and have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, thoroughness of work assigned.
COMMUNICATION/KNOWLEDGE/CONTACT WITH OTHERS:
- Frequently communicates complex information and interacts with management. May train and monitor others' performance. Can present, resolve conflicts and address delicate situations. Can motivate and persuade others.
- In-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures with ability to use in varied situations.
- Has frequent contact with others both inside and outside of the Company. Results have major implications on the management and operations of the site and as part of the region.
DECISION-MAKING, PROBLEM SOLVING/INDEPENDENCE OF ACTION:
- Decisions have significant, broad implications for the management and operations of a major department. Job contributes to decisions on the overall strategy and direction of Metals.
- Problems could be broad and complex involving company-wide impact requiring developed solutions using substantial creativity, resourcefulness, innovation, negotiation and diplomacy within the scope of Company guidelines.
- Sets goals and priorities for functional area. May make recommendations for department policies, practices and programs.
- Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing or crouching. Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at waist. Ability to reach by extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction. May stand for sustained periods. Fingering Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand or arm as in handling. Applies pressure to an object with the fingers and palm. Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly or quickly. Able to perceive the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and make fine discrimination in sound.
- On-the-job training requires the ability to lift 50 pounds on a periodic basis.
- Inside/Outside: Job can require some time subjected to various weather conditions.