The Accounting Summer Associate position is a temporary position as a member of our consulting staff. This position will include 8 weeks of working as an entry-level staff member. The Summer Associate will work with the Capital Markets practice area throughout their time at BRG. The position requires a highly motivated problem solver with above-average analytical ability. The work of a Summer Associate can be either qualitative or quantitative in nature, and projects can range from industry and subject-matter research to data collection to the preparation of statistical, financial, and other forms of analysis.
Headquartered in Emeryville, California, BRG currently has over 40 offices across the United States and internationally. This position offers advancement opportunities within a rapidly growing expert service and consulting firm.
- Progression towards a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree, or equivalent in the area of accounting.
- Plans to sit for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam.
- Summer Associate positions are typically reserved for students who are entering their fourth or fifth year of accounting study.
- Proven capability with MS Excel. A desire to expand those capabilities is required.
- Demonstrate creativity and learn to efficiently use relevant software tools, analytical methods and computer models to develop solutions.
- Gain experience developing and maintaining electronic databases, spreadsheets and other files as dictated by project needs.
- Perform detailed research and analysis, then put the results into action (e.g., gather, review and summarize literature and data from the public domain, specialized industry resources, or client, public and commercial databases).
- Audit own work product and work product of others to assure quality.
- Organize case documents; create and maintain hard copy and electronic libraries for documents and retrieve documents from libraries as necessary
- Participate in a positive team environment and work hard to meet client deadlines and quality expectations.
- Demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills.
We at Berkeley Research Group offer a very different type of accounting internship! Our work focuses on alleged accounting fraud, frequently involving hedge funds, private equity funds, and SEC registrants. Our engagements cover all areas of accounting and auditing as we review internal controls testing and operation, accounting policies and SEC reporting requirements. Our engagements are frequently chronicled in the financial news media and include numerous high-profile enforcement actions and civil and criminal lawsuits.
Our interns become part of teams that are usually small in size to allow the interns direct access to our experts in accounting, auditing, financial forecasting, valuation, forensics and portfolio management. Our experts hold CPA, CFA, CFE and other designations.
For those considering a career in auditing, our engagements frequently involve a review of audit work papers, audit programs, the scope of testing, and conclusions, including assessment of internal controls at all entity levels. For those considering a career in forensics, our engagements involve a review of deposition and interview transcripts, construction of event analyses, transaction documentation, and assessment of design and function of internal controls. For those considering a career in industry, our engagements frequently involve the roles and responsibilities of CFOs, CCOs, and accounting personnel. For those, like us, who want to be consultants, we do all of the above!
Berkeley Research Group provides independent advice, data analysis, authoritative studies, expert testimony, investigations, and regulatory and dispute consulting to Fortune 500 corporations, financial institutions, government agencies, major law firms, and regulatory bodies around the world. BRG experts provide sophisticated economic, financial, and analytical advice across a wide range of disciplines including antitrust and competition policy, complex damages, finance, healthcare, intellectual property, restructuring, valuation, and workforce issues. In addition, the firm assists clients in major industry sectors with compliance, business process improvement, and strategy consulting.
Candidate must be able to submit verification of his/her legal right to work in the U.S., without company sponsorship.
BRG is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)See job description