Embry‐Riddle Aeronautical University invites applications for the position of Accounts Payable and
Payroll Director to oversee and coordinate all aspects of disbursement management, which includes
accounts payable and payroll disbursements for Embry‐Riddle faculty, staff and student employees.
Directs day‐to‐day functions of accounts payable and payroll operations to ensure efficient use of
resources, accurate and timely reporting and effective delivery of services to internal and external
customers, suppliers, and employees. This position is responsible for supporting disbursements by
performing high level and detailed tax research and accounting within the private higher education
industry and its standards. The director will lead a staff of 11, including 3 direct reports.
The director will be involved in tasks and projects that support various accounting and other functions
within the accounts payable and payroll departments as determined by the controller and includes, but
is not limited to, an increasing growing proficiency of both Oracle EBS and Workday Payroll.
- Directs and supervises the day‐to‐day operations of disbursements related to payables and
- payroll, including workflow, staff responsibilities, scheduling, issue resolution and proper
- maintenance of audit trail support.
- Oversees and ensures disbursements and wire transfers are properly scheduled, processed and
- Complete knowledge/understanding of payroll concepts; gross wages, taxable wages, pre/post
- tax deductions, tax withholdings, faculty pay, accruals, garnishments, disposable income,
- moving/relocation expenses, bonus pay, taxation of de minimis fringe benefits, proper handling
- of overpayment/repayment of wages, state unemployment insurance, etc.
- Work with third party vendor (ADP) to reconcile payroll files and ensure timely filing of all
- required payments to various jurisdictions.
- Oversee the creation of W‐2 forms and ensure compliance with all amendment and payroll tax
- filing deadlines. Maintain third‐party database to create and issue form 1042‐S for International
- students (NRA’s).
- Leverage tax statutes and IRS regulations to research payroll tax operational and industry best
- practices with regards to multi‐state taxation.
- Monitors international, federal, state and local payroll and payroll accounting regulations and
- reporting requirements in order to maintain compliance; advises management on these topics,
- as needed.
- Maintain schedules for keeping W‐4 and various state tax form requirements current.
- Responsible for meeting all payroll processing/tax deadlines and audit requests/deadlines;
- including but not limited to payroll processing (weekly and semi‐monthly payrolls), monthly,
- quarterly, annual payroll tax filings with ADP, annual workers compensation audit, NCAA audit,
- Form 990, fiscal year accounting audit, employee benefit plan audit and others.
- Responsible for all 1099 processing on an annual basis, for due diligence of abandoned
- property as well as yearly filing with the applicable states.
- Oversees program administration of University’s Corporate Card Program.
- Directs and establishes payables and payroll deadlines and closing cut‐off dates.
- Responsible to support, and as needed, prepare timely and accurate month‐end closings and
- audit trail documentation along with account reconciliations which support the general ledger
- for designated business areas related to payables, payroll and related reconciliations. Prepare
- accounting adjusting entries for payroll system and accounting.
- Resolves issues presented by other University constituents or external parties and suppliers.
- Oversees and aids in the development, documentation and implementation of all applicable
- accounts payable and payroll‐related policies and procedures. Assures staff adherence to
- University, as well as, department policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the analysis, documentation, implementation and assessment of internal
- financial controls under span of control; ensure the integrity and confidentiality of payrollrelated
- Oversees implementation of Oracle and Workday upgrades for accounts payable and payroll,
- including data entry requirements, training, report generation, system interfaces/uploads and
- Serves as the Controller’s Office functional liaison and trainer for finance and accounting
- Serves as the risk management liaison for accounts payable and payroll.
- Supervises and develops department staff, facilitating professional opportunities to improve
- individual capability and managing performance against position requirements, department
- goals and established university and department policies and procedures.
- Serves as resource for critical, complex and high‐level projects for management.
- Serves on committees as assigned by the controller or CFO and senior vice president for
- Serve as a role model and mentor for students as appropriate.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance or related discipline or a master's degree in business
- or related discipline, combined with relevant work experience
- Six to ten (6‐10) years of full‐time, professional, progressive experience with demonstrated
- technical competence
- Minimum of three to five (3‐5) years of supervisory or managerial experience
- Experience in applying generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), financial accounting
- theory and practice
- Advanced proficiency using Microsoft Office suite, specifically Excel including pivot tables,
- VLOOKUP and complex formulas
- Certified public accountant
- Certified Payroll Professional
- Accounts Payable Certification
- Experience with Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) strongly preferred
- Strong preference for experience within a complex higher education or nonprofit organization
- Knowledge and understanding of international tax related to global mobility
- Strong organization, communication (both oral and written), time management, problem solving
- and interpersonal skills
- Results oriented, strong sense of urgency, proactive and flexible
- Superior quantitative and analytical skills
- Strong investigation/researching skills
- Ability to manage multiple high priority tasks simultaneously
- Work independently, set priorities, and have impeccable follow‐through
- Demonstrable conflict management and resolution skills
- Workday payroll processing and time tracking, Oracle EBS (general ledger and accounts
- payable), and ADP Tax Service (Smart Compliance), knowledge/experience
- Proficiency using query reporting utilities and tools; ability to accurately query and extract data
- from relational databases and convert to functional report formats