Responsible to plan, organize, direct, control and lead assigned business unit, operating within broad objectives to ensure we are supporting the Enterprise with strategic support and analytics to optimize our competitive position in the market.
- Conduct research, validate data and make recommendations using advanced principles in order to resolve a variety of problems in the absence of guidelines or precedents.
- Manage activities of a department including but not limited to: performance of major actuarial functions, planning, problem solving, staff development, communication and review of actuarial policies and internal procedures; coordinate across departments and divisions.
- Present key objectives to executive leadership as needed and represent organization on industry task forces and work groups.
- Proactively seek out opportunities to innovate and develop new processes, procedures and solutions considering corporate impact and consequences of recommendations.
- Plan, lead and deliver projects utilizing a comprehensive understanding of complex actuarial principles and practices.
- Communicate utilizing collaboration and influence with key business partners; present findings and recommendations that maximize knowledge transfer and segment growth.
- Remain current on actuarial techniques, seek development and improvement opportunities and understand corporate/ cross-functional objectives and cultural beliefs.
- Bachelor's Degree in Actuarial Science or related area.
- Six (6) years of actuarial experience.
- ASA or FSA designation preferred.
- Knowledge of all actuarial principles and practices; knowledge of BCBSM internal functions.
- Extensive knowledge of health insurance products, operations and existing regulations and their legal, political, economic and environmental impact.
- Strong analytical, verbal and written communication skills; ability to apply appropriate planning and prioritization techniques.
- Other related skills and/or abilities may be required to perform this job.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other grounds, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.