Job Title: Administrative Assistant to the President
Sector: Office of the President
SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
Under the direction of the President and Executive Assistant to the President the Administrative Assistant performs highly responsible and semi-complex administrative and clerical duties, exercising some discretion and independent judgment. Providing administrative assistance during meetings and evaluates and determines the most appropriate steps to assure the proper functioning and information flow of the office.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performing varied and semi-complex administrative and clerical duties for the Office of the President.
- Screens visitors, mail, email, and telephone calls; ascertains the nature of their business, assists those who can be taken care of personally, and redirects inquiries and persons that can be handled by others; tactfully makes referrals as appropriate.
- Serves as the receptionist for the President; represents the office in a positive and inviting manner.
- Assists in the adjudication of student problems and concerns (e.g., academic, personal, financial, registration, etc.) in concert with the Executive Assistant to the President.
- Serves as trouble shooter for students vis-a-vis faculty and staff; occasionally handles complaints directed to the President's office;
- Participates in the development and implementation of policies and procedures affecting faculty, staff, and students.
- May provide accurate pertinent information regarding rules, regulations, laws and policies.
- Assist in coordinating the maintenance of the President's calendar; schedule meetings and appointments with the Executive Assistant. Remains current concerning problems, situations and conditions of special interest to the President; exercises independent judgment and anticipation concerning matters requiring the President's attention to assure timely action.
- Receives, opens and reviews all incoming correspondence referred or addressed to the President, determines appropriate handling and forwards other correspondence to the appropriate office for handling.
- Composes and prepares responses to correspondence and other inquiries as appropriate; types from rough drafts and printed or typewritten reports; initiates format and checks for accuracy of spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc.
- Conducts research and prepares reports; researches records and obtains information for other offices and agencies as necessary to perform assigned duties as directed.
- Generate reports as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written.)
- Ability to understand data and perform some analytical tasks.
- Highly proficient organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to multi-task daily.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to remain courteous and professional at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to review and prioritize work independently and effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to be resourceful and creative when problem-solving.
- Ability to maintain calm and positive attitude and to work productively despite heavy workload, competing priorities, complex problems, and tight deadlines.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations/information with absolute discretion.
- Bachelor's degree in business management, public administration or administrative services preferred.
- Minimum of 4-6 years of experience as an Executive Assistant reporting directly to senior management.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, with an ability to become familiar with college-specific programs and software.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of constituencies.
- Ability to multi-task daily.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Environmental and Physical Conditions:
- Working environment is a normal business office setting
- Normal manual dexterity and visual and auditory acuity
- Must be mobile throughout the campus
- Typically, the incumbent may sit comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking, standing, bending, or carrying of light items
- Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time
- Occasional evening and weekend work is required