Location: Mission Hills, CA
Position Summary: Best Friends is looking for a dynamic individual to be on the front lines of lifesaving in Los Angeles. The Admissions & Lifesaving Support Specialist is dually responsible for ensuring the selection and transportation of dogs, cats, and kittens from the six Los Angeles Animal Services Shelters as well as assisting other Lifesaving Center departments during periods of low intake. This role is ideal for individuals looking to expand their knowledge in multiple facets of animal welfare while having a direct impact on the No-Kill Movement.
This position is headquartered at the Best Friends Los Angeles Lifesaving Center in Mission Hills but will be required to travel up to five days a week to the six LAAS facilities and support transportation within the three Best Friends facilities (Mission Hills, NKLA and Jefferson Park).
- Working daily with the management team at the BFLA Lifesaving Center, as well as the LAAS staff and volunteers from both Best Friends and LAAS, to select animals to be brought to the BFLA LC for adoption and transport, based on current inventory, space allocation, and upcoming transport needs.
- Ensure all pets meet pull criteria/requirements to maximize overall adoptions at both centers.
- Perform assessment snapshots at the shelter for dogs and cats to ensure they meet requirements for adoptions at BFLA LC, NKLA PAC, and upcoming transports.
- Collect all historical medical information from LAAS to include information of health and behavior wellness, vaccinations and microchipping
- Assist with the appropriate record keeping for the transfer of animals from LAAS or NKLA PAC to BFLA LC, including but not limited to: all data entry in Shelterluv, historic and current medical history, historic and current factual behavior notes, assessment snapshots, assigned PAW color on intake, historic and current vaccines, historic and current medical procedures, spay and neuter exams and verifications, and basic animal info.
- Ensure that nursery litter intakes are input to Shelterluv including the scheduling of all medications, tests, and vaccines.
- Ensure that all areas are updated upon arrival of new dogs. This includes proper signage, paw color assignment, and walking boards.
- On days scheduled be on-call for 24 hour admissions phone line to coordinate urgent kitten intakes from LAAS to the BFAS-LA Nursery.
- Recruit and train new volunteers for the kitten transport program and data entry role.
- Maintain positive and collaborative relationships with volunteers and LAAS staff.
- Assist the Shelter Relations & Admissions Manager with the transport vehicles, including regular maintenance, fuel and cleanliness and ensuring animal crates are clean, accounted for and well maintained daily. Report all maintenance/repair issues to the Shelter Relations & Admissions Manager or Senior Manager of Operations.
- In collaboration with the BFLA LC management, train and instruct the BFLA LC staff on data entry for intake and intake procedures and all other training for transport team assistance and coverage.
- Assist the Shelter Relations & Admissions Manager with incorporating and utilizing technology to improve efficiency to transport programming.
Lifesaving Support Responsibilities:
- In assistance with the medical team, help handle and perform medical exams that may include but are not limited to health certifications for transport, vaccines, and microchipping.
- Assist the kitten nursery staff with kitten intakes, feeding, and cleaning as needed.
- Assist the foster team with appointment preparation, including but not limited to vaccinating, microchipping, and preparing foster preference sheets as needed.
- In assistance with the animal care teams when needed, performing and ensuring daily feeding, cleaning, medicating and enrichment of our pet population are done in accordance to time frames and protocols.
- Assisting other Lifesaving Center departments as needed/required during downtime and low intake months.
- Other duties as assigned by Shelter Relations & Admissions Manager or Senior Manager of Operations.
- Be attentive to others' needs and willingly assist as required.
Skills and Experience:
- Must have the ability to make decisions on behalf of the organization to maintain intake standards for animal admissions approval into the Best Friends LA Lifesaving Center and NKLA Pet Adoption Center
- Knowledgeable of breeds, care giving, basic medical and characteristics of animals.
- Three years behavior, animal care experience working with cats and dogs required.
- Must be able to administer animal vaccinations and microchips, as needed during intake process or when assisting other departments.
- Must be able to work with all cats and dogs, including those with health concerns/conditions as well as behavior conditions.
- Ability to work independently and use judgment within established guidelines.
- Strong interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. The ideal person for this job would be a team player, positive, personable, upbeat, and energetic, takes initiative, and uses tact and diplomacy.
- Resourceful, roll up the sleeves attitude. The successful candidate must have the initiative to resolve problems and seek answers independently and enthusiastically demonstrate flexibility to persist until goals are achieved.
- Must be able to work and make decisions in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Computer literate: Microsoft Office, Internet, Shelterluv software, and Microsoft Outlook.
- 3 years customer service experience required.
- Ability to professionally advocate Best Friends' position on issues.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred.
- Experience interacting with the general public and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Valid driver's license, clean driving record and access to transportation to travel on organization business required.
- Must be able to routinely lift 65 pounds.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including, but not limited to: lifting and carrying, reaching, climbing ladders, stooping, squatting, cleaning and bending.
- Work indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Standing and walking for long periods of time throughout the day.
- Long exposure on a daily basis to cats of all temperaments and medical conditions.
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the department schedule: includes weekends, night and holiday work.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.