Works independently and as a team leader on new and existing projects, specializing in process and tooling development with an emphasis on creation and development of new to Tenneco processes and process improvements using technology and automation in exhaust manufacturing. Based out of North America (NA), in the Grass Lake / Jackson Michigan area, and will focus on two key areas; advanced process development and improvement projects, and supporting DFM studies for new inventions / products using Tenneco’s NTI process. Includes global interaction within the global Tenneco AME community, including occasionally working on globally aligned objectives and projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads the planning and execution of advanced process development projects focused on new to Tenneco manufacturing processes and improvements to existing processes using new technologies and automation, including financial, timing, and capability performance aspects.
- Works with vendors and plant staffs to coordinate equipment specifications, purchasing and commissioning on Tenneco plant floors.
- Understands sound manufacturing practices such as GD&T, Capability, Capacity and Utilization Analysis, Fixturing / Tooling and Process Development, Product Validation Requirements, and Launch Processes.
- Conducts training events including preparation of materials and presentations.
- Conducts workshops to review simulation and brainstorms improvement strategies.
- Validates process assumptions and reviews with appropriate Tenneco Core Competency Teams and receiving plants
- Design of equipment, tooling and manufacturing process.
- Develops cost models and budgets for projects with an emphasis on justification for investmen
- Supports equipment and tooling runoff at supplier or NA Tenneco facilities
- Supports first startup of production.
- Participates in Tenneco NTI New Technology Introduction process as a team member focused on DFM and cost estimating for new to Tenneco products.
- Concept process flows and cost estimates for new products.
- Conducts feasibility reviews for new products.
- Participates in prototype process reviews for alignment to planned production processes.
- Creates initial Cost Estimates, PFMEA and Control Plan documents.
- Creates project workbook for assigned projects, so project assumptions, scope, planning and lessons learned are captured.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelors’ Degree in industrial, mechanical, or manufacturing engineering or equivalent.
- 5+ years of related manufacturing engineering experience.
- Experience developing a new process for a new product, including experience with creation of process flow and PFMEA / Control Plans.
- Experience working with equipment and tooling suppliers, creating statement of work, awarding suppliers and following progress through launch.
- Stamping, fabrication & welding process development skills, including tooling and gaging experience will be strongly considered.
- Strong understanding of GD&T and how it applies to the manufacturing process.
- Knowledge of manufacturing process development, fixture design, tooling / gage design, and equipment design.
- Strong statistical problem solving skills with demonstrated capability using data to identify and resolve manufacturing issues.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with PC applications including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint and flow-charting software.
- Ability to adapt to many environments and interact with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to travel in support of job function (NACA facilities, suppliers etc.). Some International travel required.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- Often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel.
- Occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance and to stoop kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Vision abilities required include close vision.
- Occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.