Advanced Practice Nurse - Pediatric ICU
Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
Park Ridge, IL
Advocates Children's Hospital continues to grow and expand to better serve the needs of our community. We currently have an opportunity for a Pediatric NP in Park Ridge to work in an inpatient setting providing care to chronically and acutely ill infants, children, and adolescents in the PICU. The NP functions in collaboration with a physician according to a standard care arrangement and specialty certification. Provides advanced nursing care to patients with complex acute, critical, and chronic health conditions, including the delivery of acute care services. S/he practices in any setting in which patients require complex monitoring and therapies, high intensity nursing intervention, or continuous nursing vigilance within the range of high-acuity care.
HOURS: 36 hours per week/12 hour shifts
Assesses health status by obtaining relevant health and medical history.
Performs a physical exam based upon the age and patient history as per the Standard Care Arrangement with a collaborating physician.
Identifies significant health and medical risk factors.
Documents findings in medical record.
Orders, interprets and evaluates laboratory tests and other diagnostic studies to assess patient's clinical problems and health care needs.
Develops a diagnosis by analyzing and synthesizing collected data.
In collaboration with the physician, develops a treatment plan along with the patient and significant others.
Prescribes and monitors medications as allowed by prescriptive authority through applicable state Board of Nursing and ACH policy.
Develops patient education plan. Participates in medical team rounds.
Collaborates with nursing, medical and other healthcare team members regularly to ensure quality, safe patient care.
Performs admission history and physical; documents progress notes; prepares discharge summaries as required.
Assists with and facilitates discharge planning.
Other duties as assigned.
Bedside Procedure: Central vascular access, lumbar punctures, endotracheal intubation, chest tube replacement, peripheral vascular access, conscious sedation, deep sedation, intraosseous access, management of NIPPV and IPPV.
Daily medical rounds with multidisciplinary teams
Pediatric resident and nursing supervision
Active participation in hospital quality initiatives.
Demonstrated competency and the ability to perform advanced assessment, diagnosis, treatment plan development and invasive procedures as per clinical privileges.
Education and Certificates:
- Completed a Masters degree as an Pediatric Nurse Practitioner-Acute Care, and be certified as a Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner-Acute Care (CPNC-AC) or board eligible. *If FNP or PNP, will have 2 years to obtain Pediatric Acute Care Certification
- Preferred: Minimum of four (4) years of PICU nursing experience required or two (2) year NP experience in PICU environment.
- Licensure in the State of Illinois as an APN is required.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider required; Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) or Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) may be required based upon work setting.
- Any other certification required for specialty area.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, basic computer skills, and strong verbal and written