Child Life Specialist AdventHealth Ocala
Location Address: 1500 SW 1st Ave Ocala, Florida 34471
Top Reasons To Work At AdventHealth Ocala
· Horse Capital of the World
· Driving distance to Gainesville, St. Augustine, Orlando, Tampa, Sarasota
· Part of the community since 1898, providing healthcare to Marion County for over 120 years
· Florida Hospital Ocala offers a broad spectrum of services, with programs that are nationally recognized and accredited
· Spectacular springs throughout the county
Full time evening
You Will Be Responsible For:
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Demonstrates, through behavior, Florida Hospital’s core values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship and Teamwork.
* Provides developmentally appropriate education for patients and their families as indicated by presenting appropriate information related to medical procedures, diagnosis, parent education, bereavement, etc.
* Provides emotional support to assist with patient/family coping; to minimize stress relative to their healthcare experience. Utilizes stress reduction techniques to facilitate positive coping during procedures and throughout the healthcare experience.
* Utilizes play as a primary resource with patients/siblings to enhance coping, promote opportunities for mastery/control and socialization.
* Assesses patient/siblings’ developmental levels, coping skills and diversional needs while establishing therapeutic relationships.
* Assists with coordination, involvement and support with hospital-related community and special events.
* Develops and maintains effective working relationships with child life peers and members of the healthcare team while supporting department changes as a result of performance initiatives.
* Supports education and skills of interdisciplinary team to advocate/enhance atraumatic care and comfort techniques throughout FHFC/FH and serves as a resource for staff.
* Provides training and supervision for volunteers and maintains positive working relationships with volunteers.
* Provides accurate and timely documentation.
* Maintains an organized and clean work environment; including playroom, work space and storage.
The above statements reflect the general duties and responsibilities necessary to describe the principal functions of the job, as identified, and shall not be considered an exhaustive list of job responsibilities which may be inherent in the job. Responsibilities are subject to change.Qualifications
What You Will Need:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· Bachelor’s degree in Child Life, Education, Recreation Therapy, Child Development, Psychology or related field
· Completion of Child Life internship under a certified Child Life Specialist (CCLS)
The Child Life Specialist is a professional in pediatric healthcare who works with children and families to help minimize stress/anxiety and maximize positive coping throughout the hospital stay. The Child Life Specialist focuses on the psychosocial development of children, provides emotional support and developmentally appropriate information to increase their understanding and coping with medical procedures, diagnosis, pain management and bereavement. The Specialist also addresses the needs of siblings or other children affected by a child’s illness/diagnosis. Utilizes play and self-expressive activities as primary resources to minimize the stress and anxiety patients and families can encounter in a hospital environment. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.