The Sr Store Team Leader is the leader with ultimate responsibility for the daily operations of the store. He or she exercises independent judgment and discretion in the development, implementation and communication of store strategies and business plans that align with the brand strategies. In partnership with the Store Manager(s), the Sr Store Team Leader is accountable for effectively teaching, training and coaching store management into a high performing leadership team that achieves sales goals, meets merchandising brand standards and delivers operational excellence. The Sr Store Team Leader is expected to role model AEO values and AEO Customer First behaviors in all actions and interactions in order to create a positive Customer First experience.
POSITION TITLE: Sr Store Team Leader
REPORTS TO: District Manager
STATUS: Full Time Exempt
SUPERVISES: Store Manager, Store Management, Store Associates
- Motivate and inspire the team by delivering a compelling vision and purpose which encompasses American Eagle Outfitter's Core values.
- Create and lead an environment that ensures customer satisfaction, maximum productivity and profitability by translating and implementing company and brand developed business plans.
- Establish and communicate clear expectations and hold the store management team and self-accountable for achieving all brand, performance and behavior standards.
- Build and support effective relationships peers, supervisor, field leadership and cross-functional business partners to effectively lead positive change.
- Facilitate and cascade communication across the store organization and acts as liaison to field leadership and cross-functional business partners.
- Act as the leader on duty and consistently models the brand customer service standards and Customer First selling behaviors.
- Lead the management team through effective implementation of all AEO performance management tools and processes (IDP, MPI, Success Factors, MDP, etc.).
- Lead productive weekly leadership meetings that align with and drive the business strategy.
- Proactively seek personal learning and development opportunities to build leadership skill set and enhance individual performance.
Drive for Results
- Establish the store business strategy inclusive of forecasting sales that reflect store trend and incorporates calculated risks to drive growth.
- Identify, create and manage the execution of the store business plan to drives KPI results and maximizes business opportunities to include CRM, Loyalty and technology.
- Provide feedback to District Manager on success of brand initiatives, customer feedback, in-store trends and market insights to drive growth.
- Manage the controllable components of the P&L to achieve all store financial and expense targets.
- Analyze reporting and daily sales trends to make real-time strategic business decisions to drive results.
- Train and develop management team on business acumen to drive business performance.
- Lead the use of technology to enhance customer engagement and drive KPI results (BOSS, Store to Door, Social Media).
- Evaluate store sales and payroll goals on a daily basis using payroll reports and tools; make scheduling adjustments to meet business needs.
- Build customer loyalty through in-store experience, utilization of social media and email capture.
- Recruit, hire, develop and retain a high performing management team.
- Teach, train and coach the store management team through successful completion of MDP to develop future leaders for the company.
- Consistently assess and provide ongoing performance feedback on LOD skills, job accountabilities and Success Factors through real-time coaching, scheduled touchbases, individual development planning and the performance review process.
- Develop succession plans to ensure career paths for all associates; encourage associates to pursue internal opportunities.
- Lead the annual review process for store management and associate team.
- Collaborate with the SM to write performance reviews for the leadership team.
- Manage all compensation decisions in partnership with the District Manager.
- Drive employee engagement by recognizing and rewarding employees for outstanding performance.
- Ensure that the store management team adheres to and enforce all employment practices and policies.
- Recognize and properly resolve customer and performance issues; communicate high priority issues to the District Manager in a timely manner and collaborate to develop a plan for resolution to minimize risk.
Visual & Operational Execution
- Conducts weekly visual walk-throughs with merchandise managers; directs brand appropriate strategic merchandising to maximize sales as an outcome of the assessment.
- Maintain company brand standards of neat, clean and organized sales floor, cash wrap and fitting room ensuring store environment is safe for employees and customers.
- Lead all visual directives ensuring mapping and floorset are properly planned, scheduled and executed seamlessly within allotted timeframe.
- Generate and analyze merchandise reports and direct brand appropriate merchandising moves to maximize presentation and drive sales.
- Supervise the efficient and productive handling of all merchandise including shipment receipt and processing, floorsets, markdown optimization and replenishment systems while maintaining backroom Standard Operating Procedures (SOP). .
- Oversees and ensures efficiency of all daily operational procedures.
- Ensure store audit compliance and shrink results meet company loss prevention standards.
- Minimum high school education or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years of retail or equivalent management experience preferred.
- Strong prioritizing, interpersonal, problem-solving & planning skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of employment laws including compliance with federal, state and local requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex and competing priorities.
- Skilled at making quality decisions in a fast-paced and complex environment.
- Strong communication, presentation, delegation and follow-up skills.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills with all levels of corporate business partners and field leadership.
- Proficient in conflict management and resolution skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in training, sales generation and leading of functional teams.
- Proven ability to analyze business trends and reporting to drive sales.
- Demonstrated ability to coach, provide feedback and manage substandard performance.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with customers and store team.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability to effectively lead multiple non-contiguous locations as needed.
- Capacity to successfully lead high potential management teams and sizeable store teams (150+).
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business, including holidays, nights and weekends.
- Ability to perform Essential Job Functions.
- Computer and technology proficient.
AEO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to complying with all federal, state and local equal employment opportunity ("EEO") laws. AEO prohibits discrimination against associates and applicants for employment because of the individual's race or color, religion or creed, alienage or citizenship status, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, marital or partnership status, domestic violence or stalking victim status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristics, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. This applies to all AEO activities, including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion, performance evaluation, discipline and discharge. AEO also provides reasonable accommodation of religion and disability in accordance with applicable law.