Underwrite agribusiness risks within specified limits of authority in a designated line or lines of business and/or from assigned agents in a manner that contributes to profit and growth.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review new risk submissions, renewals, and endorsement requests within assigned authority and underwriting guidelines.
- Obtains additional information where necessary and analyzes all pertinent data to determine acceptability of risks according to established underwriting guidelines.
- Reviews endorsements on existing policies to identify any change in original coverage or amounts.
- Communicates with producers either written or orally to develop agent/underwriter relationships.
- Assists in training of underwriting personnel as needed.
- Encourage submission of targeted business and maintain liaisons with agents to obtain necessary underwriting information.
- Make referrals to Senior Underwriter when necessary.
- Performs special projects and other job duties as necessary.
- Knowledge of rating, forms, and underwriting requirements for Agribusiness lines of insurance.
- Analytical ability to evaluate underwriting risks within assigned authority limits.
- Ability to read and understand company procedure manuals and apply information to work tasks.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to work well with people in a team environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate and maintain business relationships with Company personnel, agents, outside resources, and customers.
- Ability to train or assist in training of underwriter assistants and technician.
- Ability to learn and use the company terminology, processes and systems.
- Knowledge of general office practices.
- Ability to perform basic and complex mathematical calculations.
- Ability to remain calm and professional.
- Ability to work from oral and written communications.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision and follow assigned duties through to completion.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to assist in other work-related areas as required. High School or GED required and at least 6 months as an Underwriting Technician at Rain and Hail Agribusiness Division or at least 1-3 year of Property and Casualty insurance experience or a baccalaureate degree.