Job title: Research Scientist Pharmacognosy
Department / Division: Botanical Product Development / Global Innovation & Science
Location: Buena Park, CA or Trout Lake, WA
NOTE: There is flexibility for this role to also be located in Trout Lake, WA near our farm operations or in Buena Park, CA
What’s special about us:
Nutrilite, part of the Amway family of companies, is the world’s leading global brand in vitamins, minerals and dietary supplements. Located in Southern California, Nutrilite offers a rich history of bringing the best of science and the best of nature in every product. We are committed to offer challenging career opportunities, a comprehensive total rewards package, profit sharing, tuition assistance, product discounts and an award-winning wellness program. www.nutrilite.com.
What’s special about this team:
Nutrilite is the leading Nutrition brand in the world, and in this unique team supports the Botanical Ingredient Development functions within Consumables Innovation & Science. This team’s work will lead global agricultural research for novel, clean plant extraction and ingredient technology development and acquisition. Additionally, this team will Identify new concentrates and/or new crops for vertical integration that can advance new technologies to fuel innovative product concepts for Health and Beauty Product lines. Your efforts on this team will expand our product portfolios through new botanicals or technologies, delivering product innovation that our Amway Business Owners (ABO’s) want to sell, and our global consumers want to buy. Reporting to the Manager Ag Technology, you will be working with a team at the center of our nutrition innovation. This is an exciting new opportunity to thrive in a role offering freedom to identify new botanicals to grow on our farms, and opportunity to deliver new innovative concepts in ag research.
How you would contribute to the role:
This role offers a special opportunity to apply your experience in plant and botanical authentication, to improve our Nutrilite “seed to supplement” product platform. Working with our global agricultural teams, your job will play a major role in our traceability program, working to further develop modern technologies to advance our strong nutrition portfolio. In this role you will travel the world, identifying novel botanicals that can influence new product offerings that advance health and wellness around the globe. You will offer a global perspective on botanicals, herbs, hydroponics, and plant technologies, determining what we grow to ensure traceability and health benefits. Your collaboration with internal and external resources will advance plant research, development, co-innovation, and sourcing activity, to support future product solutions that fuel our innovation pipeline. This is truly a unique global role, supporting plant research functions, farm certifications, and extraction activities. If you are seeking role that can showcase your background between both science and nature, this is an opportunity to spotlight your talent on a broad global scale! What a cool role to play a major role in advancing human health and wellness.
What skills and background will be important to be successful:
- PhD in Pharmacognosy/Botany/Natural Products, with 2 – 3 years in a related Post Doc and/or industry experience
- Knowledge and global perspective of medicinal benefits of herbs from global traditional medicines
- Deep functional knowledge and hands-on experience in herb identification and authentication, authentication procedures using traditional and modern methods
- Experience in networking with farmers and farmer communities to support identification and sourcing of novel botanicals.
- Field experience with a thorough understanding of Good Agriculture and Collections practices
- Knowledge of commercial availability & feasibility of natural herbal raw materials/botanicals for future product manufacturing & sample retention strategies, including development of physical botanical library
- Experience conducting and managing lab research activities to fulfill the international regulatory mandates
- Ability to travel globally up to 30%
- This role is NOT eligible for visa sponsorship