The Alitas Program provides assistance to the people who are released from Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) custody who are traveling through Tucson on their way to other parts of the county to join family members. These individuals, typically women and children, come with almost no money or material goods and need immediate humanitarian assistance to continue on their journey. Alitas provides food, a chance to bathe, clean clothes, a way to contact their families, help arranging bus or airplane travel, an explanation of their documents provided by immigration authorities, and a travel bag with food, water, toiletries, hygiene items, diapers, and other items to take with them on their upcoming bus trips. Many guests may need transitional shelter while they wait for their scheduled trips, and Alitas is able to offer overnight accommodations. Position may from time to time be stressful and require a high demand of performance. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Provide site coordination and departmental support for Casa Alitas shelter locations
- Provide direct assistance to the travelers to purchase bus or plane tickets, understand their travel, identify health or safety needs, identify the need for overnight accommodation, and arrange for transportation to and from the overnight accommodation when needed
- Provide service and activity support for individuals residing at Casa Alitas and partner sites as needed
- Provide support for other volunteers at Casa Alitas and partner sites as needed
- Provide support for program activities such as organizing donated goods, tracking supplies and inventory, community outreach events, volunteer communications, program troubleshooting, volunteer orientations as needed, and other tasks as they arise
- May drive agency or personal vehicle on company business
Suitable work experience may be considered as transferable skills in order to meet minimum requirements of the position and will be considered by the Corporate Director of Human Resources.
- HS Degree
- 1 year progressive administrative experience
- Intermediate Spanish
- Obtain State of Level One Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card (paid for by the Alitas Program)
- Valid driver's license for State of Arizona, proof of insurance and minimum standard 39 month MVR report
- Strong communication skills oral, and written are clear, concise, and in an organized fashion using appropriate style, grammar and tone
- Additional related experience