The position is responsible for analyzing and optimizing the rail supply chain for the Westlake business. The position will develop productive relationships with production site and corporate based individuals. This role is also for contributing to the development of short and long term Supply Chain strategies and providing recommendations to Westlake Management in area of rail transportation. This position reports to the Manager, Rail Transportation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide timely and effective responses to inquiries in support of rail transportation
- Including, but not limited to, shipment status, car diversion or rebilling, rating, routing, lease track opportunities, and general rail and rail car information.
- Monitor and control car supply to meet forecasted business needs
- Lead active discussions with plant operations to ensure business expectations are met
- Provide recommendations and support in fleet sizing and management activities
- Ensure billing is correct and resolve open shipment billing issues
- Provide routing and rating guidance for diversions and rebills
- Ensure correct rates, fuel surcharges, and accessorial charges are updated and current in SAP and BDS
- Identify most effective routing, benchmark, and participate in the negotiation process with rail carriers.
- Identify car storage and lease track options to support business activities, provide recommendations, and participate in the negotiation and contracting process.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- B.S. / B.A. Degree (Logistics, Business, Engineering, or IS/IT preferred); MBA Degree is also valued.
- 2+ years’ experience in rail operations or similar experience in logistic and supply chain.
- Must have excellent / extensive computer skills with emphasis in database systems (e.g SAP), rail management (e.g. Railtrac), and report writing software (e.g. Crystal Reports.).
- This role requires a process mindset with a passion for excellence in communications, attention to detail, problem solving, and team contribution.
- Must be highly motivated, successful working under pressure, and customer focused at all times.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate as normally based in an office. Some of the work may be required in the operating units which can require usage of required PPE including safety glasses, hearing protection, etc. May also result in exposure to outside elements and may require usage of stairs and elevators. Travel including air travel or auto travel may occasionally be required.