Animal Care Technician I
The Animal Care Technician I is responsible for the daily care of research animals and vivarium operations. Duties include and are not limited to daily cage changing, cage washing, maintaining a clean environment and monitoring the overall health of the animals per Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Work Instructions (WIs) and work efficiently in a team environment.
Our ideal team member will possess excellent manual dexterity, attention to detail, and the willingness to work with moderate supervision completing daily operations and tasks. This position is overseen by a team lead and directly reports to the Senior Manager of Animal Care and Services.
- Changing cages, feed and water
- Maintaining and monitoring equipment, room temperature and humidity
- Identifying tattoos and ear notch
- Performing euthanasia per AVMA guidelines
- Preparing and sterilizing rodent caging, equipment, accessories and enrichment
- Performing vivarium housekeeping duties
- Handling waste disposal tasks
- Follow SOPs, WIs, and regulatory requirements
- Maintaining accurate records
- Ability to perform injections
- Participate in daily vivarium closing procedures at the end of work day
- Perform duties under limited supervision
- Work with Team Lead or Senior Manager, to prioritize daily tasks
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED
- 0-2 years of related work experience
- Manual dexterity and attention to detail to care for laboratory animals
- Experience handling and restraining laboratory animals
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Required to stand, walk, sit, reach, bend, manage supplies and perform cleaning procedures as outlined below
- Possess good verbal and written communication
- This position requires working in a laboratory animal environment with others, 8 hours daily and wearing personnel protective equipment (PPE) including respiratory protection at times
- Operations require lifting husbandry food and bedding bags and pushing heavy rack systems and supplies
- Laboratory duties involve safely handling or working near chemical, biological or other hazardous material
- Some duties and motions are repetitive tasks
- Work requires proper use of PPE and engineering controls
- Weekend and/or holiday work may be required
- This position is essential to the care of animals and expected to report to work daily, even in the event of inclement weather conditions
**Please note, this opportunity does not sponsor work visas and has no relocation assistance**
It is the policy of the Allen Institute to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, the Allen Institute will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.