Animal Study Technician and
Animal Care Technician:
Animal Study Technician
- Review study protocols and ensure study tasks and data for pre-clinical research studies are conducted in accordance with established protocols, SOPs, GLPs, and other pertinent regulatory requirements.
- Generate study forms and worksheets.
- Receive extensive training in various technical procedures including dose administration, sample collection, handling and restraint of multiple species.
- Perform and document observations on study animals.
- Record observations and collect other relevant data via data capture systems and/or hand-generated forms in accordance with GLPs, SOPs, and protocol
Learns to recognize deviations, informs appropriately and documents with assistance.
- Learns to plan assigned workload on a daily basis and effectively schedule multiple assignments.
- Learns to review own data and identifies potential problems.
- Learns to serve as head technician for a basic study. Performs protocol review in preparation for and attends PI meetings.
- Identifies process improvements and may write SOPs with assistance.
- Safely work with potentially hazardous substances including potential/known teratogens, carcinogens and/or radiolabeled test materials.
- Ability to function effectively in a team-oriented atmosphere and work independently when necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
B.S. or B.A. degree in Biology, Life sciences, Chemistry or Science field, or High School diploma/equivalent and 12 months appropriate laboratory experience, preferred. Additional experience may substitute for lack of High School diploma. College level courses may substitute for 6 months experience. Strong attention to detail.
Familiarity with basic computer applications such as email, MS Word and Excel.
- Overtime, weekend and holiday work as required.
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated immunological tolerance to animals.
- Work requires passing pulmonary function test, annual physical and the use of other PPE (personal protective equipment)
- Preparation for ALAT certification.
Animal Care Technician
The Animal Care Technician is responsible for assisting the group with maintaining the well-being of animals in accordance with all SOPs, applicable state and federal regulations.
• Learns to operate cagewash equipment and perform cagewash operations. Performance of cage wash functions may comprise majority of work responsibilities.
• Learns to perform basic husbandry functions for relevant animal species within base cost center, including basic animal handling and restraint.
• Learns to perform and maintain general facility sanitation conditions.
• Learns to review protocols and to maintain lab records and documentation in accordance with SOPs and GLPs.
• Becomes familiar with department SOPs.
• Learns to document husbandry activities by hand and in appropriate data collection system.
• Works effectively as a team member.
• May work with potentially hazardous substances, not limited to potential or known teratogens, and carcinogens, and/or radio-labeled test materials.
• Learns to plan assigned workload on a daily basis.
• Learns to recognize deviations from normal situations or results and informs supervisor.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Overtime and weekend work as required.
• Demonstrated immunological tolerance to animals.
• Work requires passing pulmonary function test, annual physical and the use of other PPE (personal protective equipment)
• Lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds
A high school diploma or equivalent, or a minimum of 1 year related experience without a high school degree.
Growing Lab offers excellent advancement opportunities. Send resume ASAP!