Animal Technician - ALAT Certified - NIH - Bethesda, MD
Kelly Government Solutions is a strategic supplier and business partner to the federal government and its key suppliers. Through our partnership with the National Institutes of Health, Kelly Government Solutions offers administrative, IT, engineering, scientific, and healthcare professionals the opportunity to work with one of the most prestigious research organizations in the world. We are currently seeking an Animal technician to work onsite with the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD.
This is a long-term contract position which offers:
- Competitive salary with comprehensive benefit package
- Opportunity to work at NIH, the world's foremost medical research center
- Learn more about what Kelly can do for you at www.kellygovernmentsolutions.com
TASKS. The contractor shall:
- Provide support for the management of day-to-day operations of the CIO Interventional Laboratory (IRL) through project planning, coordination, scheduling and implementation of studies following all CIO SOPs and discipline Quality Assurance Standards.
- Work with staff on animal husbandry, animal care and enrichment activities.
- Collaborate with staff on and support the coordination and/or actual performance of pre-, peri- and post-surgical animal care.
- Maintain animal clinical care inventory.
- Oversee sterile equipment, quality assurance, preventative maintenance tracking and complete day-to-day operation checklists.
- Work with staff on preclinical procedures including pre-operative preparation, safe transport handling; peri-operative medication administration, anesthesia, obtaining and managing intravenous access, vital sign monitoring and intravenous access.
- Support technical components of animal imaging equipment; program imaging equipment; administer contrast to ensure safe doses of radiation and contrast during scanning of preclinical subjects.
- Provide support for operation of interventional or imaging equipment and administration of contrast.
- Collect, preserve, prepare and ship blood, urine, stool and various tissue samples, including necropsies.
- Maintain and update paper and electronic records and data management; maintain laboratory notebooks and databases for clinical studies.
- Monitor multiple species during preclinical studies to identify abnormal health and behavior; communicate concerns and manage treatment with senior and veterinary staff.
- Maintain all logs, electronic medical records and documentation.
- Routinely handle and dispose of hazardous (physical, biological, radiological and chemical) materials.
- Ensure proper arrangement for analysis or pathologic examination of collected specimens.
- Complete quality assurance checklists; work with staff to manage preventive maintenance and repairs of equipment.
- Work with staff on housekeeping of procedural space.
REQUIREMENTS. The contractor must have:
- Associate’s degree in Veterinary Technology or Animal Science.
- AALAS ALAT certification.
- Minimum of six (6) years of experience in the Laboratory Animal field, working with multiple species.
- Demonstrated experience in subject instrumentation and minor surgery.
- Knowledge of the laws, regulations, policies, guidelines and ethics that govern the proper use of research animals and their psychological well-being.
- Knowledge of computer systems, methods, applications, data and data management, and processing of data.
- Familiarity with Windows and/or Mac operating systems, PowerPoint, Excel and MS Word.
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and time management skills.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE.
Note that the phone number for our NIH branch is not listed. Due to the high volume of inquiries, we regret that we cannot accept phone calls. All qualified candidates will be contacted.
As a workforce advocate for over 70 years, we are proud to have a role in managing employment opportunities for more than one million workers around the globe. We employ 550,000 of these individuals directly with the remaining workers engaged through our talent supply chain network of supplier partners. Revenue in 2015 was $5.5 billion. Visit kellyservices.com and connect with us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Kelly Services is an equal opportunity employer including, but not limited to, Minorities, Females, Individuals with Disabilities, Protected Veterans, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law.