- Position Type:
Pupil Services/School Nurse
- Date Posted:
Haddam Killingworth Middle School
- Date Available:
This anticipated full-time school nursing position is for the health office shared by Haddam Killingworth Intermediate School and Haddam Killingworth Middle School (housed in the same building). There is a .5 nurse who also works in the health office. Job responsibilities include (but are not necessarily limited to) the following:
• Administer first aid/illness care to staff/students, medication and specialized medical treatments for the purpose of providing appropriate care for injured, ill and medically fragile children in accordance with State Laws and District Policies.
• Respond to emergency medical situations for the purpose of ensuring appropriate immediate medical attention and related follow-up action.
• Perform mandated screenings (e.g. vision, hearing, scoliosis, etc).
• Ensure student compliance of all state mandated immunization/health assessment requirements.
• Counsel students and families on health conditions and lifestyle issues (e.g. hygiene, nutrition, mental health, substance abuse, pregnancy, sexually transmitted disease, etc) for the purpose of facilitating a healthier student population.
• Develop and implement individual student health care and emergency care plans for students with special healthcare needs for the purpose of providing direction to staff and meeting the needs of students with chronic health problems and/or accommodation requirements.
• Communicate with parents/guardians for the purpose of advising them of changes in student health and/or recommending further medical and/or emotional intervention.
• Maintain students' individual confidential health records.
• Participate in a variety of meetings, workshops and seminars, including PPTs, 504 and other interdisciplinary team meetings, for the purpose of gathering, conveying and/or sharing information on student health needs, service delivery and educational programs.
• Provide training on a variety of health related subjects (e.g. child abuse, health education, medication management procedures, food allergies, OSHA compliance, etc.) for the purpose of promoting a healthy lifestyle and/or acting as a resource to students, teachers and other school personnel.
• Research a variety of topics relating to health and medical care (e.g. wellness, nutrition, treatment protocols, childhood disease, etc) for the purpose of providing information to staff, students, parents and the public.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the nursing supervisor and/or building principal.
• The school nurse works under limited supervision using standardized practices in accordance with all state laws and district policies.
• Physical demands include occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, some stooping and kneeling, significant fine finger dexterity.
• The job is performed under conditions with exposure to illness and blood and body fluids.
• Generally the job requires 50% sitting, 25% walking and 25% standing.
• Nursing experience with increasing levels of responsibility is required. Pediatric or emergency care experience is helpful.
Licenses and Certificates
• Registered Nurse Licensed by the state of Connecticut
• CPR/AED Certificate
• Note: Criminal justice fingerprint/background clearance is also required.