The Application Developer II is primarily responsible for operational support, technical analysis, design, development, testing, and deployment of internally built applications and integrations between IT systems. This position is on a small development team and works with all groups in the Whiting IT department as well as direct interactions with people throughout the company’s organizational structure.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Operational support of existing custom applications and systems integrations.
- Design, develop and support custom .NET applications (primarily ASP.NET) for internal business departments.
- Perform technical testing and QA on all custom application development.
- Perform staged deployments of all custom application development.
- Consults with AppDev team and other IT staff as needed to evaluate potential integrations between hardware and software systems, leveraging existing options where appropriate.
- Analyze functional requirements from stakeholders to come up with the appropriate technical design and implementation options for a given application.
- Support, maintain and enhance documentation for new applications/solutions as well as legacy solutions.
- Integrate applications with existing and new databases/infrastructure.
- Project planning and breaking larger work items into iterative deliverables.
- Involvement with making strategic recommendations on architecture, design, and technology.
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of technical documentation.
- Attend required meetings and engage in technical design sessions.
- Maintain and adhere to existing coding, design, documentation standards, and SOX compliance requirements.
- Interact with stakeholders and end users to understand requested changes to existing applications.
- Take an active technical role in cross-departmental projects.
- Interact regularly with managers, stakeholders, vendors, and other resources.
- Report project status and other activities to integrations team and IT leadership on a routine basis.
- Continually enhance technical acumen and knowledge of coding languages, patterns and practices, and technology trends.
- Maintain good communication and interactions with all Whiting personnel.
To succeed in this role, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience
- Four-year degree in Computer Science or Computer Information Systems, or equivalent work experience
- Four or more years C# and ASP.NET development and operational support
- Two or more years VB.NET Thick/Smart Client development and operational support
- Two or more years writing queries and stored procedures in MS SQL Server. SSIS packaging a plus.
- Experience with web applications, WCF services, UI/UX, MS SQL, LINQ, XML, JSON, and n-tier/OOP. Thick/Smart Client development a plus.
- Cloud development experience a plus, especially in Microsoft Azure
- Hadoop environment experience beneficial
- Microsoft TFS experience
- Hands-on troubleshooting in an operational support environment
- Full development SDLC desirable
- SharePoint Online development experience beneficial
- Front end GUI design experience
- Windows environment
- Powershell Cmdlets and other console tools
- MS Office
- MS Visio
Other Skills and Abilities
- Capable of breaking larger work items into iterative deliverables.
- Must show good attention to detail and care about quality of deliverables.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to present complex technical ideas in user-friendly language.
- Ability to support and champion the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities with keen attention to detail.
- Self-motivated and directed with the ability to effectively prioritize and execute challenging technical tasks in a professional environment.
- Ability to work in a team environment, as well as on an individual, unsupervised basis.
- Strong team player attitude is a huge plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Significant amounts of time in an office environment in front of a computer, either sitting or standing.
The work environment characteristics describe here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- This is a corporate office environment in downtown Denver. Majority of work takes place at a desk or in meeting rooms.
- This position is required to travel approximately 2% of the time. Travel is rare and would typically be for a technical conference if approved.
Whiting Petroleum Corporation does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.