APPLICATION DEVELOPER - AUSTIN, TX, JACKSONVILLE, FL, MECHANICSBURG, PA OR REMOTE
SUMMARY: Reporting to the IT Manager, this role will include application development, software enhancements, and technical support for existing applications and platforms. Please Note: This position can be based either in one of our regional offices including Austin, TX, Jacksonville, FL or Mechanicsburg, PA OR Remote.
Essential Functions: Individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The essential functions listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Development, maintenance and implementation of the company's systems, which includes our core transaction systems, websites, internal platforms and other web and digital services and integrations.
- Unit test of code with an eye toward test driven development
- Performs as a technical contact for maintenance and support of designated production application problems and platforms escalated from first level support. Helps determines root cause and provides thoughtful solutions.
- Responsible for accurate and timely delivery of application development and enhancement projects, including system design (high level and detailed), coding and documentation
- Works with the IT and Business teams to identify process and system improvements and may create or update Information Technology Department policies and procedures.
- Activities on a broad variety of projects as assigned.
- Participates in Agile teams comprised of analysts, developers, IT infrastructure staff product owners and Scrum Masters to deliver innovative solutions.
- Clearly and accurately communicates the progress and status of their work to NORCAL management as well as tracking in agile software tools.
- Supports critical business processes (renewals, billing process, etc.) and assists in the development of instructions and training materials support applications use as needed.
- Maintains a high level of accountability, drive and independence in carrying out duties.
- Fiscal Responsibilities: None
- Supervisory Responsibilities: None
- Expenses: Employees must be able to pay for certain business expenses in advance. Examples include such items as airline tickets, rental cars, hotel deposits, seminar registrations, etc. Employees are eligible for reimbursement for such expenses through NORCAL’s Expense Reimbursement Policy.
- Required Driving: None
Physical/Environmental Working Conditions:
- General office environment is primarily sedentary work which requires the following physical activities: standing, sitting, walking, reaching, lifting, finger dexterity, grasping, repetitive motions, talking, hearing and visual acuity.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
- Exposure to LCD on a daily basis.
- A moderate noise level is usual.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Math or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- ServiceNOW certifications a plus.
- 1-3 years of experience in ServiceNOW application development and familiarity with ITIL / ITSM framework
- 1-3 years of experience with .NET, Web services and APIs standards (e.g. REST, SOAP, WSDL, JSON, XML)
- Client Side and Server Side Scripting
- Knowledge in web standards and responsive design
- 1-3 years software support & optimization experience for a variety of platforms and applications
- Strength in troubleshooting and triaging issues to determine root cause and drive resolution
- Professional liability or other P&C insurance experience a plus
- Experience with Agile system developmentprocesses such as Scrum, Kanban, and DevOps.
- Foundation in responsive front-end and database- driven back end web development for desktop and mobile devices
- Database experience with SQL and stored procedures (Oracle & MS SQL environment preferred)
- Agile development tools experience such as ServiceNOW and Version One.
- Source Repository tools experience such as Git and Visual Studio.
- Tools experience with Visual Studio, VersionOne and Git
- Ability to translate business requirements into functional software & ability to explain technical concepts in non-technical terminology.
- Must be a proven innovator and self-learner to keep abreast of new technologies
- Ability to work with Business Analysts or Business Partners to take an idea and turn it into a feature, following iterative processes to understand a customer's processes and requirements and deliver business value.
- Strong and effective verbal and written communication skills, able to communicate courteously and professionally while providing excellent customer service to internal project teams and business partners.
- Can articulate ideas effectively in group settings and with non-technical individuals.
- Must be a self-starter, motivated, take initiative, and have strong inter-personal skills.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with a keen attention to detail.
NORCAL rewards eligible employees with competitive salaries and excellent employee benefits including the following:
- Comprehensive health benefits including medical, dental, vision, & life effective date of hire
- Health Care & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- 7.5 hour work days – 37.5 hour work week
- 4 weeks of PTO plus paid holidays
- Employee Bonus Program
- 401(k) with generous dollar for dollar match up to 5% of eligible compensation with additional 3% non-elective employer contribution
- Community Involvement Fund – Volunteer and/or company matching contributions
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Adoption Assistance
- Education Reimbursement
- Employee Recognition Program
- NORCAL University Employee Training & Development Programs
NORCAL is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
This description portrays in general terms the type and levels of work performed and is not intended to be all-inclusive or represent specific duties of any one individual. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.