|Renton Technical College is looking for a full time, tenure-track instructor of computer science to join our Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) in Application Development program. Do you want flexibility in your schedule? Tired of your long commute? Want the option to have summers off and a great retirement plan?|
As our lead Application Development BAS Program instructor at Renton Technical College (RTC), your typical day might include the following:
This full-time, tenure track position is responsible for instruction and related professional duties in our evening/hybrid Application Development BAS program. The salary for this position is $74,732.00 for a 9-month contract and a Master's degree annual stipend of $834. Summer quarter contracts may be issued separately depending on student enrollment and program needs. This position is represented by the Renton Federation of Teachers (RFT) Employees Association.
- Teaching software engineering, software and mobile application development, data mining, and advanced data structures and algorithm concepts in a hands-on environment.
- Mentoring a diverse pool of adjunct instructors and updating curriculum to match industry needs.
- Working closely with colleagues and industry partners to ensure that graduates have both the practical and soft skills to thrive in the tech market.
Renton Technical College, located southeast of Seattle, has provided quality education in a variety of occupations for over 75 years. Our professional-technical certificate and degree programs offer entry and mid-level training in the areas of allied health, trades and industry, culinary, business, technology and automotive. Our outstanding college & career pathways program with classes in adult basic education, English as a second language, and GED preparation is available to those who need additional preparation prior to entering a training program and for those who simply wish to improve their math and English skills. Career Education and apprenticeships degree’s round out our offerings. As an Achieving the Dream Institution and a past Aspen Institute top 10 finalist for the Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence, RTC is also proud to be a Military Friendly School, serving those who chose to serve.
Renton Technical College is committed to increasing its cultural diversity with an emphasis on equity and inclusion among its faculty and staff. The students that we serve come from a variety of backgrounds and are over 60% of color. We strongly encourage members of historically minoritized groups, veterans, and bi- or multi-lingual individuals to apply for this position to help meet the needs of our diverse students and service district.
| Key Responsibilities / Essential Functions Include:|
- Provide leadership in working to improve access and successful educational outcomes for diverse student populations, especially historically marginalized and underserved groups.
- Support the College's mission by creating a learning environment of mutual respect and fairness, while encouraging creative and critical thinking through an equity lens.
- Demonstrate multicultural competence (including an awareness and understanding of historically disadvantaged populations) and create an educational environment that affirms commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Support and mentor adjunct faculty in the Application Development Program.
- Effectively teach multiple courses in the adopted program curriculum in a hybrid/online format, with part of the instruction through face-to-face lecture and the rest online by directed learning (readings and research). Teaching load is three courses per quarter.
- Develop and update curriculum as required by the College to respond to industry trends and to improve equitable student outcomes.
- Design inclusive instructional strategies, including classroom, small groups and individualized instruction, to reach all students, and select and evaluate the materials needed to implement these strategies.
- Evaluate student progress towards attaining the learning outcomes, including thoughtfully designed individual assignments, projects, quizzes, and standardized tests.
- Participate in recruiting and job placement activities for students with varied backgrounds and career goals, including cooperative education and internship opportunities.
- Actively participate, develop, and maintain effective working relationships with the program advisory committee and enhance advisory committee representation by creating ties with the local business community.
- Perform other related tasks as assigned by the Dean.
| Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:|
- Demonstrated leadership or participation in institutional programs with persons from diverse backgrounds such as sexual orientation, racial, ethnic, religious, linguistic, gender, age, socio-economic, physical and learning abilities, and a commitment to an inclusive and equitable working / learning environment.
- Master's degree in computer science, computer information systems, computer engineering, software engineering, or related degree.
- Solid working knowledge of C#, and/or Java; Python knowledge preferred.
- Recent practical / industry experience, preferably in software/database development.
- Ability to design learning experiences that are interactive and respectful of cultural differences.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals whose first language is not English.
- Ability to work effectively and engage with adult learners.
- Demonstrated ability to promote universal design and accessibility. Proficiency in (or ability to learn within 6 months of hire) the production of accessible content, whether print or electronic.
- Knowledge of, understanding of, and commitment to the educational role and philosophy of the technical college.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively as part of an inclusive team.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, think critically and exercise independent judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Successful experience using tact, discretion and courtesy while interacting with all persons.
- Demonstrated attention to detail required as well as previous experience maintaining accurate records, managing multiple tasks, and planning and organizing work in order to meet changing priorities and deadlines.
- Teaching experience in computer science (traditional classroom, online education, collaborative hands-on activities) is preferred.
- Active involvement with the local IT community is preferred.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification within 90 days of initial employment.
- Ability to represent the college in a positive and professional manner, while using tact, discretion and courtesy.
- Speaker of a language in addition to English is preferred– preference for top spoken languages in the RTC service area (Spanish, Vietnamese, Russian, Somali, Chinese).
| Terms of Employment:|
|The person hired is required to provide authorization for employment in the United States. |
All offers of employment are subject to background checks. Post offer, pre hire background checks (including criminal record) may be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment, but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
For questions regarding this position contact 425-235-2296 / firstname.lastname@example.org or 425-235-2475 / email@example.com.
Renton Technical College provides equal opportunity in education and employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color national origin, age, perceived or actual physical or mental disability, pregnancy, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, creed, religion, honorably discharged veterans or military status, or use of a trained guide dog or service animal, as required by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Sections 504 and 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act and ADA Amendment Act, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act and Washington State Law Against Discrimination, Chapter 49.60 RCW and their implementing regulations. The following college official has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies: Title IX / EEO Coordinator, Vice President of Human Resources 3000 NE 4th Street Renton, WA 98056 (425)235-7873, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jeanne Clery statement: Notice of Availability of Annual Security and Fire Safety Report: In compliance with Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act of 1998, and as a part of the College's commitment to safety and security on campus, Renton Technical College reports the mandate information about current campus policies concerning safety and security issues, the required statistics, and other related information for the past three (3) calendar years. Renton Technical College's Annual Safety and Fire Report is available online at: https://www.rtc.edu/annual-security-report .
For information on how to access the RTC Daily Crime Log follow this link: https://www.rtc.edu/node/4321.
Renton Technical College would like to acknowledge that we are on the traditional land of the first people of Seattle, the Duwamish People, past and present, and honor with gratitude the land itself and the Duwamish Tribe.