To provide technical leadership of Balchem Ingredient Solutions (IS) in the Applications Lab for the baking industry applications.� Lead and manage laboratory projects related to and in support of the business objectives of the division. Deliver ongoing technical support to the sales organization and customers. Support and Develop new baking production opportunities as well as support the complementary meat, confectionery, and nutritional applications.
Develop technical application data to support commercial/regulatory strategy for the Business Unit. Communicate the functionality and technical benefits of Balchem IS ingredients in support of defined commercial strategy.� Provide stewardship for key projects as identified by the Applications Manager in Salesforce.com and Project programs as assigned. Deliver a professional, high level of service and technical support to internal and external customers.
Duties and responsibilities
- Technical validation of Balchem IS technology and products. Design and conduct appropriate qualitative and analytical evaluations of products.��
- Coordinate the activity of other lab group members on larger projects.
- Conduct periodic assessment on competitive product lines.
- Carry out sensory analysis, physical testing and other methodology to fully test products.
- Follows all safety policies and procedures including use of safety equipment (PPE) and equipment safeguards.
- Manage formula development program to demonstrate functionality of Balchem ingredients in baking,meat and confectionary product categories.
- Stay current with new technology and developments and maintain professional contacts with individuals and organizations. Build and maintain relationships with current and potential customers.
- Perform tests on new samples produced in the pilot plant to evaluate actual results compared to predicted results.� Complete formulation and application testing in the lab.�
- Perform tests on current production materials as required by customer requests or assist Quality with evaluation of product complaints.
- Provide technical support to the sales organization, customers and prospective customers (telephone support, bench work, on-site support, etc.) as needed.�� Interface with customers as necessary (telephone, on-site) to manage projects.
- Assist Applications Manager in execution of sales training initiatives.
- Provide periodic written and/or oral reports on assignment/projects status to Applications Manager and the commercial organization.
- Source equipment and ingredients for the laboratory, manage annual supply budget.
- Maintain integrity of R&D laboratory environment through accurate test design and set up, good sanitary practices and maintenance of equipment in good working order.
- Maintain accurate files of all R&D work completed. Maintain all project files and lab notebooks as required
- Assist the Applications Manager in development of Standard Operating Procedures and in related document/recordkeeping.
- Complete weekly updates in Salesforce and communicate project status to Management.
- Participate in scheduled meetings.
- Open and continuous communication to the Applications Manager required.
- Support Applications Lab-related external activities by attending events such as trade shows, sales calls, demonstrations, etc., as needed.
- Design and develop new applications for all Balchem IS product lines as requested.
- Minimum of a Bachelor of Science degree in Food Science, Physical Chemistry, Food Technology, Food Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related physical science area is desirable
- 3 - 5 years� experience in benchtop R&D environment
- Knowledge of the principals of food processing, food science, food and dairy chemistry, are essential to successfully perform this job��
- Baking industry experience is required. Meat and/or sensory science experience would be a plus
- Familiarity with new product development is ideal
- Ability to conduct experimental design tests and accurately report results in a manner suitable for presentation to customers and management
- Collaboration, problem solving, good communication and ability to work with minimal supervision, as well as with others are required skills for performing this job�
- Detail oriented and multitasking is a must
- Complete computer skills required (Microsoft office, CRM, Genesis, etc.)
- Must be able to effectively communicate to all levels of management within the organization
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Work involves the use of typical food science lab equipment�
- Some business travel may be required
- Occasionally, must be able to work on their feet for extended periods of time in lab and pilot plant
- Will be required to lift and carry large boxes
- Work environment may be noisy, wet, and slippery and hot at times